PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Want to switch to Linux.

DeadMyke87
June 5th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Hope I dont offend or aggervate anyone with this post. First time ever posting here. Sorry if im under the wrong tab.

Tried a ubuntu install disk a friend gave me on my desktop. Said she got hold of it years ago, couldnt intuall it. Only guessed there was an issue with my hardware. I have all of the driver disk for my hardware btw. I'll list my system and if anyone knows of any version of Linux that might work with it please post here with info of where/how I can get it. Thanks.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h221/h5s9k3/Mine/Post.jpg

If you zoom in on the pic you actuall can read it pretty well. Thanks again.

chronographer
June 5th, 2008, 08:07 AM
go here and download a copy. (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu) and choose either 64 bit or i86, it doesn't matter in your case. If you have slow downloads, you can request a cd from there too. To burn it to disk, you may be able to right click the .iso file you download and choose 'burn image to disk' or you can use nero or similar to "burn image".

mutzinet
June 5th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Good decision to switch to linux!
But first of all, as suggested by chronographer, grab the latest LiveCD, which will allow you to give ubuntu a try and install it, even from within windows.
User-friendly linux distributions like ubuntu have made tremendous progress in hardware recognition in a few years, so having the latest release means greater chances of success.

Xiong Chiamiov
June 5th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Yes, yes, Linux progresses fast! (well, some distro do)

Unlike Windows, things are constantly being worked on and improved. *buntu also maintains a 6-month release cycle, meaning that a new version releases every 6 months! Using an old version may give you problems that have been fixed since then.

TheAJKMan
June 5th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I would have to echo what has been said here already. Am a recent convert from Windows to Linux and apart from the learning curve have enjoyed my experience thus far. Am using Ubuntu and can recommend it. Best of luck and hope to hear your feedback on your experience soon.

trig
June 5th, 2008, 01:05 PM
i just made a compy box for a friend today. they were more than happy to to get it. i love linux. sometimes frustrating but there is a good support system in place. my wife loves windows and dont understand why i use linux. i dont kow about anyone else, but i feel dirty for using windows.

G-Dub
June 5th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I am also a recent convert from Windows to Linux. Linux is the best operating system i have EVER used. If you are really worried about losing Windows, you can configure it to dual boot with Linux. So when you start up the computer, you will have a choice between the two. Also, you can use Wine to emulate windows software! Really, you can't go wrong with Linux! But definitely download the latest release so that all your hardware is supported. The only difficulty i had with hardware was my Wireless Card and my Graphics card, but these forums are so helpful that the problems were easily fixed.

DeadMyke87
June 6th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Got it on there and I like it so far. The only thing is im having trouble getting my Linksys USB wireless reciever working with it.

Any advice?

gnuskool
June 6th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Hi!

your best bet as a new user is to use the searchbox at the topright hand corner with your usb card name and OR an error message. There are heaps of threads out there answering what you're asking for example http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766800" but i found that by typing in 'linksys' - so get creative with the searchbox, as you do in google :D don't be afraid to aggrevate or offend - a lot of people here are/were in the same situation & are happy to point you in the right direction if they don't know the answer themselves. Check ubuntuguide.org to get into the swing of things, or go to the irc channel for a realtime chat with over 1000 users who help each other out 24/7 - new to irc? If so, get chatzilla firefox addon and join the ubuntu channel on freenode

Cya

DeadMyke87
June 6th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Hi!

your best bet as a new user is to use the searchbox at the topright hand corner with your usb card name and OR an error message. There are heaps of threads out there answering what you're asking for example http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766800" but i found that by typing in 'linksys' - so get creative with the searchbox, as you do in google :D don't be afraid to aggrevate or offend - a lot of people here are/were in the same situation & are happy to point you in the right direction if they don't know the answer themselves. Check ubuntuguide.org to get into the swing of things, or go to the irc channel for a realtime chat with over 1000 users who help each other out 24/7 - new to irc? If so, get chatzilla firefox addon and join the ubuntu channel on freenode

Cya

I think I love you, all of you ;)