PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] what do i do?

tony209az
June 5th, 2008, 04:51 AM
I have just installed Hardy, and I can login, but that is all. I did a mini so install, and type help, but all I can do is view the commands, is there any help for me?

lisati
June 5th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Did you install a GUI (graphical user interface) or are you just getting a command prompt?

tony209az
June 5th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Did you install a GUI (graphical user interface) or are you just getting a command prompt?
Just a command prompt

tony209az
June 5th, 2008, 04:59 AM
I haven't even seen the desktop, it mentions sudo_root. Is "root" my login name? I don't know anything about Ubuntu, so forgive my ignorance, any help is much appreciated.

lisati
June 5th, 2008, 05:00 AM
You might find it useful to install a GUI. I'm not sure of the exact details, not having done it myself. (I'll just scurry off and have a look through the forums to see if there's anything there that might be helpful. In the meantime, anyone else?????)

tony209az
June 5th, 2008, 05:04 AM
TAnks, again, any help is appreciated. And, no, I haven't installed a gui. Is there a prompt to do that?

lisati
June 5th, 2008, 05:29 AM
TAnks, again, any help is appreciated. And, no, I haven't installed a gui. Is there a prompt to do that?

I suspect that the answer is "YES" but I might have to get back to you on that one - a video project that I need to get done by tomorrow is demanding my attention. In the meantime, I'm happy to be assisted in answering your question by a more knowledgable forum user.

Barriehie
June 5th, 2008, 05:34 AM

Not exactly a prompt but I did find this link in the forums that you may find useful! :)

Note the last post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=630251

I hope this gets you going, you're going to like this OS.

Barrie

tony209az
June 5th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Thanks, I have just returned, and am now using Ubuntu 8.04 with FireFox. Thank you must, I heard about startx, and when I ran that, everything came together, thanks again

Barriehie
June 5th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Thanks, I have just returned, and am now using Ubuntu 8.04 with FireFox. Thank you must, I heard about startx, and when I ran that, everything came together, thanks again

No problem Tony! I'm glad you got it working. If you look at the thread tools link at the top of the thread you can now mark this one solved if all is well on your end.

Barrie

dasunst3r
June 5th, 2008, 07:45 AM
If you want to install the packages for a desktop environment, you can type in something like sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop. Hopefully, that will get you into a fully-functional desktop environment without much hassle.

tony209az
June 5th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah, that's exacty what I put in. I don't know about the commands, but now I have an actual desktop, and not just dos. thanks