PDA

View Full Version : kubuntu-kde4-desktop hard to get rid of

swoll1980
June 5th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Just a warning; I installed the kubuntu-kde4-desktop to discover I hated it.
Removing it is a freaking nightmare. You would think sudo apt-get remove kubuntu-kde4-desktop would remove it as it installed it, but that's not the case. I still had tons of kde crap on my computer, and even logged into the gnome environment I was still getting constant knotifcation crash warnings every 5 seconds. I had to go on a kde search and destroy mission which took about an hour, then I kept getting an error about icedtea not being installed or removed so I did a dpkg --configure -a then a dpkg-reconfigure -a which took another hour, but didn't work I have a thread posted in installation on this which I'm sure I'll get help with. To make a long story short if your going to try kde4 I wouldn't do it this way, because if you don't like it your in for a long night. :-#

hanzomon4
June 5th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Kubuntu-kde4-desktop is just a meta package that depends on everything eles. All you had to do was "apt-get remove auto-remove" or something like that...

Did bush really say that, lol... I'm drunk

Mauldrick
March 28th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I am having the same problem. What is the best way to get rid of this stuff?

chucky chuckaluck
March 28th, 2009, 04:37 AM
the same thing happens when you try to get rid of gnome. both are huge complex packages that take the right approach to dumping. it's not as simple as sudo apt-get remove 9wm.

JECHO
March 28th, 2009, 04:49 AM
here is a nice simple way to get rid of it completely: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

mehaga
March 28th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Luckily, I'll never have to get rid of all that 'crap'. I have 4.2 installed and I love it. Many times better then anything else linux ever had.

swoll1980
March 28th, 2009, 04:59 AM
necromancy

kevin11951
March 28th, 2009, 05:44 AM
necromancy

The art of revealing future events by means of a pretended
communication with the dead; the black art; hence, magic in
general; conjuration; enchantment.
:confused:

DoubleClicker
March 28th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Just a warning; I installed the kubuntu-kde4-desktop to discover I hated it.
Removing it is a freaking nightmare. You would think sudo apt-get remove kubuntu-kde4-desktop would remove it as it installed it, but that's not the case. I still had tons of kde crap on my computer, and even logged into the gnome environment I was still getting constant knotifcation crash warnings every 5 seconds. I had to go on a kde search and destroy mission which took about an hour, then I kept getting an error about icedtea not being installed or removed so I did a dpkg --configure -a then a dpkg-reconfigure -a which took another hour, but didn't work I have a thread posted in installation on this which I'm sure I'll get help with. To make a long story short if your going to try kde4 I wouldn't do it this way, because if you don't like it your in for a long night. :-#

apt-get remove libqt4-core will do the job since all the KDE environment in dependent on it.

jwxie
March 28th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I wonder how long did it take this guy to track down all the package there

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

oobuntoo
March 28th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Just a warning; I installed the kubuntu-kde4-desktop to discover I hated it...

Don't hate it, embrace it :lolflag:

Sand & Mercury
March 28th, 2009, 10:59 AM
If you'd installed using aptitude instead of apt-get you'd be able to remove it with aptitude remove kubuntu-desktop. The only way to get rid of an apt-get install of it is to remove packages one by one, unfortunately.