PDA

View Full Version : Please help me decide on a laptop by midnight!

Sand Lee
June 5th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Hello everyone, the college I'll attend (http://sco.gatech.edu/req_hw.shtml) this fall requires I get a laptop with these minimum specs:

* Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.6 GHz or better (or equivalent dual processor).
* Memory: 2 GB (using one slot only in a 1/2GB configuration—this allows for easy expansion over the life of the computer).
* Hard Drive: 120GB or larger.
* Video Memory: 128 MB or greater through integrated graphics adapter or separate video card.
* Communications: 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.0 EDR.
* Display: Supports 1024x768 resolution or better.
* Accessories: CD/DVD Writer, Sound capability, Wired Ethernet port, 25' Ethernet cable, Notebook security lock.

Dell is having a 10 days of deals special and I'm debating against getting a 1525 (http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=eep&cs=2235&eep_orig_cs=2236&oc=RNDWPT5&link_number=10584220) with such configuration (for $689.28 - deal ends tonight):

SYSTEM COLOR Jet Black
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5550 (1.83GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista ® Home Premium, w/ 1 yr of Training-Live Tutor
HD DISPLAY Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch display (1280x800)
VIDEO CARD Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
MEMORY 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
HARD DRIVE Size: 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE CD / DVD Writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)
WIRELESS NETWORK CARDS Intel Next -Gen Wireless -N Mini-card
BLUETOOTH AND WIRELESS USB Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
INTEGRATED WEBCAM Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam
BATTERY OPTIONS 56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0

or waiting for later deals (http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1) or buying a laptop at Best Buy since I have a 100 dollar gift card:

dv2807nr (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8846378&productCategoryId=abcat0502001&type=product&tab=7&id=1208562431197#productdetail)
dv6815nr (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8776149&productCategoryId=abcat0502003&type=product&tab=2&id=1204332255236#productdetail)
F767NR (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8779583&productCategoryId=abcat0502001&type=product&tab=2&id=1204332500561#productdetail)

I'd like to spend less than $750, ~ $600 preferably...

jamewill
June 5th, 2008, 12:55 AM
u need a pumpkinbook

Sealbhach
June 5th, 2008, 01:03 AM
How much can you spend? I got a Vaio, very happy with it. Looks good too. I lile the Dell XPS too.

cookieofdoom
June 5th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I'm pretty sure you can get a Thinkpad with those specs for less than the Dell. If you run Ubuntu (or other distros, really) Thinkpads are excelent. Plus you don't have to worry too much about dropping it. They're very durable.

Sand Lee
June 5th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I think $750 is the max for me... even then it might be pushing it

Sand Lee
June 5th, 2008, 01:14 AM
I'm pretty sure you can get a Thinkpad with those specs for less than the Dell. If you run Ubuntu (or other distros, really) Thinkpads are excelent. Plus you don't have to worry too much about dropping it. They're very durable.

I've tried configuring a Thinkpad with similar specs, but it's always been over $700...

LittleLORDevil
June 5th, 2008, 01:47 AM
So far I have nothing bad to say about my Dell. I have the generation before that but with the specs that you want. It works great with Ubuntu and I have been happy with it. The only thing that has faltered me is the battery, which may be because of my own use, but can barely hold a charge.

Kingsley
June 5th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Go with one of the laptops made by HP. The dv series isn't pricey and won't disappoint.

cookieofdoom
June 5th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I've tried configuring a Thinkpad with similar specs, but it's always been over $700...

Yeah, I just tried. The Dell is a pretty good deal, and it seems like it'll probably run Linux alright. I'm not positive on the soundcard, but I imagine it'll be alright. Those are awfully high specs for a college notebook. I can't see something like that being needed for tasks like writing papers... unless you have to use Vista and Office.:lolflag:

MrMatt2532
June 5th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I would personally get a laptop made by Asus. You can get them at newegg.com. They are a little bit more expensive, but they are some of the best laptops you can get in terms of quality and support.

Sand Lee
June 5th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Yeah, I just tried. The Dell is a pretty good deal, and it seems like it'll probably run Linux alright. I'm not positive on the soundcard, but I imagine it'll be alright. Those are awfully high specs for a college notebook. I can't see something like that being needed for tasks like writing papers... unless you have to use Vista and Office.:lolflag:

LOL that was the same thing I thought when I first saw the requirements!
I was pretty bugged because I already have a budget hand-me-down laptop that's running Hardy quite well

So far I have nothing bad to say about my Dell. I have the generation before that but with the specs that you want. It works great with Ubuntu and I have been happy with it. The only thing that has faltered me is the battery, which may be because of my own use, but can barely hold a charge.

Thanks, I think I might be getting the Dell because everything will be integrated and I know I'll have OOB support with this Intel-based configuration. [That is if anyone can convince otherwise \\:D/]

One last issue, should I take this deal? Or should I gamble and wait for another Deal to come within the next 8 days? See "Sneak Peek" Link at bottom (http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1)
Thanks for all the feedback so far :)

Sand Lee
June 5th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I was thinking... would it be a good idea if I went ahead and ordered the lappie, then if a better deal is released I could return the laptop and buy the better one. Thing is though, I wonder how high restocking fees would be...

cookieofdoom
June 5th, 2008, 03:51 AM
You could probably flat out cancel the order, as I doubt they'll ship before tomorrow. The R61i from Lenovo is fully intel based, by the way. That's what the i stands for.

Sand Lee
June 5th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I bought the Dell. :-({|=

HunterThomson
June 5th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I bought the Dell. :-({|=

Ya, sounds like a good deal, don't sweat it:) There are always better deals when it comes to computers. Check my specs below.... I paid $850 on newegg.com now my laptop with Nividea 8400, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, and 2.1Ghz core 2 duo go's for for the same price and the specks that I have go for $650. This is just 2-3month latter.

Sand Lee
June 5th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Ouch, that must've really hurt.. I'll try not to stress about it too much :)
Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate it!

madjr
June 5th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Ouch, that must've really hurt.. I'll try not to stress about it too much :)
Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate it!

aww too bad.

the Dell with ubuntu was cheaper and has everything u needed:

http://i.dell.com/resize.aspx/inspnnb_1525_overhead_alternate_500/131/100

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Inspiron 1525N
$549

Inspiron 1420N with a Nvidia geforce 8400gs (the one i got :))
$699

oh and 1gb memory is enough, laptop memory gets very cheap every 3 to 4 months, but even if u added in the order it would still be cheaper. Anyway is a common practice that Dell (and other vendors) overcharge for lap memory.. i just purchase memory cheaply at other stores.

I was thinking... would it be a good idea if I went ahead and ordered the lappie, then if a better deal is released I could return the laptop and buy the better one. Thing is though, I wonder how high restocking fees would be...

maybe u can change the order? it takes for them about 2 - 3 weeks to build and ship.

oh and you can go with the 1420N and better video card, 1 inch screen difference is not even noticeable.

ps. this demonstrates that the Ubuntu section at Dell is kind of hidden and not noticed even by ubuntu members ... :(

oh and looking at your college's website i just noticed that they ask for these min requirements because they SELL LAPTOPS
http://sco.gatech.edu/req_hw.shtml

Georgia Tech students may take advantage of special pricing on Apple, Dell and Lenovo products by visiting the Technology Center @ the Georgia Tech Bookstore.
http://gatech.bncollege.com/wcsstore/gatech/staticfiles/index.htm

oh and those links to DELL, APPLE and LENOVO are referral URLS, they get a percentage on your purchases.

Try deleting your cookies in your browser !

Sand Lee
June 5th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I didn't get a preinstalled ubuntu lappie because I could install it on my own and also I would receive less laptop for a greater price. I only paid ~ $690.

The laptop came with 3GB Ram by default. 2GB was the minimum requirement for my school - probably what I need to run vista comfortably along with whatever engineering programs I'll be required to run.

I was also questioning whether or not I should go for a fully opensource supported intel machine vs partial support w/ an nvidia card - maybe performance is the priority in this case...

The only better deal I could find was the Dell Vostro 1400 (http://www.notebookreview.com/shared/scripts/tgRedirect.asp?siteName=NotebookReview.com+Coupon+ Tool&merchantID=6291276&productID=122132&merchantPricingID=19409336&couponID=41660). I wasn't sure whether or not I should take a last-gen machine seeing as all Vostros got a redesign save for the 1400. I was also wondering if a 14.1wxga was better then a 15.4 for school. This config costs $644.48,

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5670 (1.8GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition, SP2
WARRANTY & SERVICE 1 Year Basic Limited Warranty plus 1 Year Mail-in Service
LCD PANEL 14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display with TrueLife™
MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability, No Roxio Creator
VIDEO CARD Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
HARD DRIVE 250GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
WI-FI WIRELESS CARD Intel 4965AGN Wireless-N Internal-card
BLUETOOTH WIRELESS Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate), WinXP
WEBCAM No Camera
SOUND OPTION Integrated High Definition Audio

I don't see how the hardware requirements are a product of GeorgiaTech selling laptops... I went to the premier login, but couldn't figure how to get the "10 days of deals" deal from there...

madjr
June 5th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I was also questioning whether or not I should go for a fully opensource supported intel machine vs partial support w/ an nvidia card - maybe performance is the priority in this case...

partial support?

my nvidia card is a lot better supported under ubuntu than my other laptop with an intel card.

plus the speed difference is just too much. The intel is a crappy integrated performer.

oh and they also recommend Mac computers, so i don't think Vista (or windows) is a requirement anywhere in their min reqs.

I don't see how the hardware requirements are a product of GeorgiaTech selling laptops

they sell them at the tech center in their bookstore.

"
Georgia Tech students may take advantage of special pricing on Apple, Dell and Lenovo products by visiting the Technology Center @ the Georgia Tech Bookstore."

i can smell "business" a mile away.

hmm, you're still young... but i hope you don't get "wiser" the hard way (bad experiences), like i did.. :(

cardinals_fan
June 5th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Even a cheap Thinkpad is still a Thinkpad. Also consider Toshibas.

cprofitt
January 4th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I would personally get a laptop made by Asus. You can get them at newegg.com. They are a little bit more expensive, but they are some of the best laptops you can get in terms of quality and support.

I found the build quality excellent on my X83Vm-X1, but the machine had terrible issues with Linux.