PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install; CD is not read

Dlizard
June 5th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I gave a 7.10 CD recently to a friend of mine who is very enthusiastic about changing from Microsoft to Linux. Today she called me saying that she inserts the CD in the computer and absolutely nothing happens. The CD seems to spin for a while in the machine, then stops, and the MS Vista takes control. It is as if she has a blank CD. I don't think there is a problem with that CD because she also tried another CD with the version 7.04 that accompanies an Ubuntu book I borrowed her. Still, nothing happened. Since I am myself a newbye I would appreciate any suggestion regarding this problem.

iaculallad
June 5th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I gave a 7.10 CD recently to a friend of mine who is very enthusiastic about changing from Microsoft to Linux. Today she called me saying that she inserts the CD in the computer and absolutely nothing happens. The CD seems to spin for a while in the machine, then stops, and the MS Vista takes control. It is as if she has a blank CD. I don't think there is a problem with that CD because she also tried another CD with the version 7.04 that accompanies an Ubuntu book I borrowed her. Still, nothing happened. Since I am myself a newbye I would appreciate any suggestion regarding this problem.

Ask your friend if he/she had changed the boot sequence on the BIOS (CD-ROM/DVD first), considering that your Gutsy CD is working as you mentioned.

Dlizard
June 5th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Ask your friend if he/she had changed the boot sequence on the BIOS (CD-ROM/DVD first), considering that your Gutsy CD is working as you mentioned.

I asked her about the booting sequence and she said it was one of the first things she has done. So, at this point the whole thing remains a mistery. Anyway, I gave her the address of this forum, so she can search the answers by herself.

Thank you very much for your help!

housam
June 5th, 2008, 08:41 PM
could be something wrong with the drive itself. is she able to use it with other cds ( music and so ,,, )

Dlizard
June 6th, 2008, 07:33 PM
could be something wrong with the drive itself. is she able to use it with other cds ( music and so ,,, )

Nope. She said the drive is working superbly. But I thank you for the suggestion. As I said, I sent her the address of the forum and I hope she comes here soon to ask questions by herself, since she is the one who can explain all the details regarding the problem.