PDA

View Full Version : Update Features You've Noticed (Not Distro Release Updates)

Exsecrabilus
June 5th, 2008, 12:07 AM
So like usual, I saw updates available in the Important security and Recommended sections.

I installed, and it asked me to reboot. So I did.

I went along with what I was doing, but when my mouse hovered over Applications Places System, I noticed something.
Under System, there was a new section: Control Center!
At first I thought something was wrong, but then I remembered the updates.

This is cool, now there is System >> Preferences/Administration/Control Center.

Go Ubuntu updates!!!!! Post your update comments here (not distribution release upgrades, just plain updates.)

23meg
June 5th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Stable release updates (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates) do not introduce new features or change the behavior of the system substantially. You must have installed something else that enabled the Control Center menu item, or manually enabled (in System / Preferences / Main Menu) and forgotten about it.

klange
June 5th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Stable release updates (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates) do not introduce new features or change the behavior of the system substantially. You must have installed something else that enabled the Control Center menu item, or manually enabled (in System / Preferences / Main Menu) and forgotten about it.

He did not manually enable it. Same happened to me. Of course, I don't like it being there (personally despise the look of the Control Center, if they adopted the CCSM look [which was based off the CC look], I would like it a lot better), so I immediately removed it.

BlueSkyNIS
June 5th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I don't have Control Center and I updated just a minute ago, so it looks like you enabled it somehow yourself :-?

23meg
June 5th, 2008, 02:19 AM
He did not manually enable it. Same happened to me.

Sounds inadvertent (= a bug). Do you know which update did it? I don't have it.

sports fan Matt
June 5th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I agree with 23meg..Nothing of the sort here either

Rhubarb
June 5th, 2008, 02:25 AM
The control centre managed to appear automatically for me as well after one of the updates.
If it makes a difference I'm running 64bit Ubuntu here.

23meg
June 5th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Looks like it's the gnome-menus 2.22.2-0ubuntu1 update. From the changelog:

- Explicitly do not include gnomecc.menu in the preferences menu
instead of explicitly excluding it, so that alacarte doesn't know
it was excluded

Exsecrabilus
June 5th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Rhubarb, I'm running 64-bit too, LOL.

For others, did you reboot?

23meg, so the feature was excluded?
How come I have it then?

BTW guys, we're kinda going off-topic. XD

Another feature I noticed is:

In Synaptic, under Status, there is a new tab called New in repository.
Finally, a chance for new packages to shine! XD

23meg
June 5th, 2008, 02:41 AM
23meg, so the feature was excluded?
How come I have it then?

The update didn't mean to add a feature; stable release updates don't, so the basis of this thread is flawed. As far as I can tell, a side effect of the update caused the menu item to be shown when it shouldn't have been. It could be that it's only enabled if you've enabled and then disabled it before.