PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] Some questions on xfce

Totalchaos02
June 4th, 2008, 08:40 PM
So I just installed xfce for the first time and so far I like it better compared to Gnome, in fact Gnome feels kind of clunky and slow now. I just have a few problems/questions before I decide to switch my main WM entirely.

1. I have sound in Gnome, but I only partially have sound in xfce. Flash videos work with sound but if I open Banshee or totem (or anything really) to play a sound file it just doesn't work. Banshee also crashes when I play a sound file. Any ideas on how to fix this?

2. I wanted to get rid of the lower bar but when I moved the task list to the top bar it wasn't displaying anything running. It just had one item that said [...] on it. I think this is something obvious but I am just missing it.

3. Is there any way to add the places list onto the menu that comes up when you right click the desktop?

4. Finally, is it possible to see all running apps from the middle click workspace switcher? I can see the tasks of the space I am on and sometimes of minimized tasks of other workspaces but it hasn't been consistent.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Totalchaos02
June 4th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Just an update to question 1. I changed the sound method to alsa on pidgin and got sound, is there a way to make it so everything uses alsa?

mali2297
June 4th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Regarding question number 3, can't you just make custom launchers through the menu editor? For example, create an entry Home which launches the command thunar /home/yourusername.

Totalchaos02
June 4th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the advice, once I got a push in the right direction I figured out how to setup the menu how I wanted it.

Totalchaos02
June 4th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I have everything answered except for my sound issue and seeing other workspace tasks on the middle click menu (not sure what it is called). Any ideas on those?