PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Boot failure

tapasray
June 4th, 2008, 06:21 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I had installed Ubuntu Hardy Heron on the C partition of my laptop "inside windows". Most of the time, the slider would freeze up during boot, and I wouldn't be able to turn off the machine with the power button. I would have to unplug the power jack and take out the battery.

I have since uninstalled Ubuntu and installed Kubuntu on my D partition, from a LiveCD mailed to me. But the same thing keeps happening.

I would really like to get going with Ubuntu/Kubuntu, and would greatly appreciate help with these problems.

Also, Kubuntu seems to take up 10 GB, which Ubuntu also did as far as I remember. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance!

avtolle
June 4th, 2008, 06:23 PM
When you say you installed "inside Windows", was that by Wubi or in a virtual machine?

tapasray
June 4th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks, avtoll. I understand it's WUBI.

avtolle
June 4th, 2008, 06:35 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=396526 is a sticky on the Wubi Forum with FAQs, etc. which may have an answer to your predicament. From what you have described, and my reading, it may well be the best course of action is to uninstall Kubuntu using the "approved" method, and do a reinstall under Wubi. Just a thought.

tapasray
June 4th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I will check out the sticky, try what you suggest, and report the results when I am done. Thanks again!