PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How many Users when First Installed Ubuntu Knew Firewall was Off by Default?

kevdog
June 4th, 2008, 04:22 PM
This is a first of a two part poll stemming from a discussion in the Security Section.

Poll #1
How many Users when They First Installed Ubuntu knew that Ubuntu's Firewall (iptables) was Turned Off by Default?

Future Poll #2:
How many Users since Installing Ubuntu have installed a listening process or server? (An example would be SSH, FTP, Web (HTTP), Time (NTP) servers?)

50words
June 4th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I had no idea. I thought Firestarter was just an optional GUI for a service that was already running.

The information out there about security in Ubuntu is not very good for the non-techie user.

klange
June 4th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Heh? All I had to do was add a record and iptables handled it perfectly...

KingTermite
June 4th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I had no idea. I just started Linux and was reading "Ubuntu Linux Bible" (crappy book) and it mentioned that in the security chapter (near end of book).

bufsabre666
June 4th, 2008, 04:52 PM
i read that in the wiki a long time ago, and ive never turned it on, no need too

Sealbhach
June 4th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I thought you had a to download a Firewall if you wanted one (for Desktop edition).

Ozor Mox
June 4th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I thought iptables was on by default, I'm quite surprised at this! Does Ubuntu have no open ports by default or is that only the server?

Also, should I be activating the firewall, or do I not need to worry since I have a router?

dizee
June 4th, 2008, 05:35 PM
When I first installed it, yes I did assume the firewall was on by default.

However, now I know it isn't and it isn't really needed in the same way as it is in Windows because all ports are closed by default.

jonfenton
June 4th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I also thought iptables was set up by default. Mind you I am not sure how much would get past my router.

hyper_ch
June 4th, 2008, 06:10 PM
iptables is setup by default and it is running

however it does not contain any rules and hence does not do any filtering

by default there are no services running upon a fresh installation

mister_pink
June 4th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Yep, this poll is a bit pointless seeing as the questions wrong. The firewall is on by default. There is absolutely no need to do anything to it.

The only time you'll need it is if you have set up something to listen and you only want to accept connections from certain places. If this is the case the chances are you aren't a complete beginner.

If, on the other hand, you were a complete beginner, then chances are that having the firewall set to deny all by default would confuse you when you did try to install ssh.

shadylookin
June 4th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I thought it was on there just weren't any rules by default. Not that it matters since all ports were closed by default.

koenn
June 4th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I voted "Yes I knew the Ubuntu firewall - iptables - was deactivated by default"
Actually I didn't know there was I firewall installed by default, I expected that if I'd want a firewall, I'd just have to install it and configure it.
Which is good enough for me, I'm on a private LAN with a perimeter firewall; no need to set up a firewall on each individual host.

kevdog
June 5th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Just an FYI there are no rules set up on the firewall. All the firewall is technically activated -- a firewall without any rules is equivalent to no firewall at all -- its totally inactive. If you install openssh server for example -- it listens by default on port 22, and this port is indeed open -- the firewall does no filtering unless a rule is activated. Open ports are only vulnerable if there is actually a service listening on the particular port. An open port with no listening process is not a vulnerability.

From the responses on this forum, this is definitely an area of confusion and misunderstanding for many.

the yawner
June 5th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I'm not sure if I read it right. But on that other operating system, I think there are a couple of opened _and_ listening ports by default. This has to do with how they run their system process. Right?

kevdog
June 5th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Yes there are listening process open by default. Linux has no listening process to the outside world -- unless you count the ping (icmp packets) which is not blocked by default. I believe the cups process only listens on the loopback interface.

Mateo
June 5th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Yes there are listening process open by default. Linux has no listening process to the outside world -- unless you count the ping (icmp packets) which is not blocked by default. I believe the cups process only listens on the loopback interface.

excuse my ignorance, but how does one access the internet without ports for http, pop3, ftp, etc?

BLTicklemonster
June 5th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Well let me ask a question, if my firewall is already running when I install (If I read that correctly); why is it when I go to www.grc.com and go to sheilds up, I get this on my ports:

IDENT
Closed Your computer has responded that this port exists but is currently closed to connections.

Is there any way to close that?

LaRoza
June 5th, 2008, 03:15 AM
excuse my ignorance, but how does one access the internet without ports for http, pop3, ftp, etc?

They aren't listening. Listening is something like a server which listens on port 80 and responds. Nothing is listening, so it doesn't matter what comes.

LaRoza
June 5th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Well let me ask a question, if my firewall is already running when I install (If I read that correctly); why is it when I go to www.grc.com and go to sheilds up, I get this on my ports:

IDENT
Closed Your computer has responded that this port exists but is currently closed to connections.

Is there any way to close that?

Perhaps this will help: http://www.grc.com/faq-shieldsup.htm#IDENT

Mateo
June 5th, 2008, 03:17 AM
They aren't listening. Listening is something like a server which listens on port 80 and responds. Nothing is listening, so it doesn't matter what comes.

hmm, i guess i understand the distinction then. i'm still having trouble decipher what is listening. for example, i have apache running, is that listening? if so, how do I block non-intranet traffic?

lisati
June 5th, 2008, 03:18 AM
To be honest, when I first installed Ubuntu, I didn't know what iptables or firstart were (are?) let alone how to configure them. I haven't bothered researching them in the perhaps misguided belief that the firewalls in the routers (one for wifi & cable, the other disguised as an ADSL modem) are, for the most part, sufficient.

LaRoza
June 5th, 2008, 03:19 AM
hmm, i guess i understand the distinction then. i'm still having trouble decipher what is listening. for example, i have apache running, is that listening? if so, how do I block non-intranet traffic?

Yes, apache would be listening.

macogw
June 5th, 2008, 03:54 AM
just An Fyi There Are No Rules Set Up On The Firewall. All The Firewall Is Technically Activated -- A Firewall Without Any Rules Is Equivalent To No Firewall At All -- Its Totally Inactive. If You Install Openssh Server For Example -- It Listens By Default On Port 22, And This Port Is Indeed Open -- The Firewall Does No Filtering Unless A Rule Is Activated. Open Ports Are Only Vulnerable If There Is Actually A Service Listening On The Particular Port. An Open Port With No Listening Process Is Not A Vulnerability.

From The Responses On This Forum, This Is Definitely An Area Of Confusion And Misunderstanding For Many.
Qft

tact
June 5th, 2008, 04:07 AM
I don't know what the fuss is about.

Making such a noise about "...firewall is off by default!" is like making a noise "...the sky is BLUE"

From a sticky on the security discussion page:
"Firewall

Discussions about firewalls often are passionate (just search the Ubuntu forums). By default, Ubuntu includes a firewall, iptables, but by default nothing is engaged. This is reasonable as a default Ubuntu install opens zero ports to the outside world, so a firewall is redundant. However, installing "server software" will cause ports to open, so some people like to use a firewall as a catch-all layer to find mistakes in their configuration [La Rosa]
"

The significant sentence is in italics above.

So where is the fire? Why the excitement?

Cheers

kevdog
June 5th, 2008, 04:34 AM
I think the crucial part is how many people install server software. This is probably the most accurate question. Since take for example a distribution that didn't offer a web browser, but everyone who used the distro downloaded and installed the browser. Ubuntu may not be default contain any listening server programs, but how many people go ahead and install these anyway? If the answer is a high number, then wouldn't you think at least the idea of some sort of default firewall be activated (or prompted for activation?)

PrimoTurbo
June 5th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I didn't know, didn't care and if there was a firefox I would of disabled it. I have a router for that.

tact
June 5th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I think the crucial part is how many people install server software. This is probably the most accurate question. Since take for example a distribution that didn't offer a web browser, but everyone who used the distro downloaded and installed the browser. Ubuntu may not be default contain any listening server programs, but how many people go ahead and install these anyway? If the answer is a high number, then wouldn't you think at least the idea of some sort of default firewall be activated (or prompted for activation?)

I think if someone has the smarts to even have a need for a server of any kind, then some more smarts to go install and configure same - that person ought to be clever enough to know his exposure.

A computer without a firewall does not equal a car sold without brakes. Its no travesty of safety or neglect of duty.

Its just not possible to save people from themselves. You mention the idea of trying to ensure that if someone installs something that opens up a port they are prompted to configure their firewall... where do you stop?

Is the next step having usb ports disabled by default until the user reads a safety bulletin and passes a test to show thy understand the risks (possibility of a virus infection just plugging in a thumbdrive or picture frame) - all for their own safety of course.

NoooOOOOooooooooOOOOooOooooooo :)

scorp123
June 5th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I think if someone has the smarts to even have a need for a server of any kind, then some more smarts to go install and configure same - that person ought to be clever enough to know his exposure. Yes, they ought to know ... but often enough they don't. The excuse here being "But I just want to use this computer, not study computer science ... !"

Its just not possible to save people from themselves. True.

You mention the idea of trying to ensure that if someone installs something that opens up a port they are prompted to configure their firewall... where do you stop? Right there? Most distros (openSUSE, Mandriva, Fedora ...) ship with their firewalls turned on and with filtering activated. The SUSE installer offers the option to disable it during the installation (so people who know what they do don't have to bother with it any further than that) and I guess most other distros have similar options. I fail to see why this could not be done for Ubuntu as well? The installer would ask you if you wanted a firewall ... Click "No" and you get the current behaviour. Click "Yes" and a default ruleset will limit all services to your own RFC1918 private IP range. If a newbie still wants to play around with stuff such as Apache and MySQL and so on they can still do so without exposing themselves too much. People who know what they do and who want the current behaviour simply turn off the thing during the installation, voila done.

I can't see why this should be such a big problem here? :)

I know -- in Ubuntu's default setting (= no service that is listening for anything) such a firewall would not be of much use. But then again: Ubuntu's motto is "Linux for human beings" and some people here on these forums seem to feel 'naked' without firewall ... so why not satisfy their needs and offer the rest of us the option to easily turn the thing off during install? Shouldn't really be too much of a problem I guess and voila, both sides of the argument get what they want.

samjh
June 5th, 2008, 09:39 AM
For me, I thought iptables was deactivated by default, only to find that it was active but without filtering rules set.

It doesn't really matter unless you're running a server anyway, and if you have need to run a server, then you should do your homework and learn to set up security appropriately.

A person who run servers without knowing about network security, is like someone who tries to drive a bus without knowing how.

D.Sync
June 5th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Eh? Is there any firewall software installed on Ubuntu? Never thought and worry about it though. :)

klange
June 5th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Eh? Is there any firewall software installed on Ubuntu? Never thought and worry about it though. :)

iptables comes preinstalled and is active. It just has no rules.

@_R_|\/|_@_G_E_|)_|)_0|\|
June 5th, 2008, 11:39 AM
iptables is the Ubuntu Firewall and it is always active. It just doesn't do anything if there are no virus definitions or restrictions. Basically, it's IDLE. Not off, IDLE.

Armageddon

mister_pink
June 5th, 2008, 02:08 PM
How about another question then. How many people using ubuntu have had their computer hacked whilst using the default config?

None?

Right then.

As for installing listening servers? How many people do that? Not even 10% I'll bet. I don't suppose most people have even heard of ssh, and if they have they should be able to deal with the firewall - if they even need it! You do not need to do anything to the firewall if you want ssh to accept connections from anywhere. It's far more important to get your ssh rules correct.

tigrezno
June 5th, 2008, 03:24 PM
first time i installed ubuntu (about 3 weeks ago), first thing i did was on console:

sudo netstat -nlp

to check what i was sharing with my internet hackers :)

then i checked that ubuntu default installation don't carry any firewall GUI, so i installed firestarter.

BLTicklemonster
June 5th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Perhaps this will help: http://www.grc.com/faq-shieldsup.htm#IDENT

Yeah, I read that, but I WANT TO SHOW UP STEALTHY, dangit!

:)

hyper_ch
June 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM
so i installed firestarter.

firestarter IS NOT a firewall

scorp123
June 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM
firestarter IS NOT a firewall Ahemm ... Usually you'd be right but please see his posting again :) ... he talked about "firewall GUI" ;) And "firestarter" is just that ;)

Dr Small
June 5th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Ubuntu at least has iptables installed, but since there are no services listening, no need to open any ports. On Arch, I would have to install iptables (if I wanted it), but see no use for it when I am already behind a firewall.

aysiu
June 5th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Yes, they ought to know ... but often enough they don't. The excuse here being "But I just want to use this computer, not study computer science ... !" If you don't want to study computer science, don't make your computer a server.

Seriously.

Take me, for example. I don't want to study computer science, and I don't mess with IP tables. And, lo and behold, I also never make my computer a server.

I just want to use the computer. So I use the web browser, email, word processor, etc. I use sensible software targeted at end-users, not server software targeted at network administrators.

hyper_ch
June 5th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Ahemm ... Usually you'd be right but please see his posting again :) ... he talked about "firewall GUI" ;) And "firestarter" is just that ;)

Sorry :(:(:(:(:(

billgoldberg
June 5th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I knew, but I don't have the firewall active.

I have a hardware firewall.

Not having a firewall on the computers is easier for my upnp network.

scorp123
June 5th, 2008, 05:56 PM
If you don't want to study computer science, don't make your computer a server. Seriously. I know :D But you see ... I had such discussions before and then the next argument usually is "What good is the openness of Linux if God forbid that one tinkers with it???" :lolflag:

If all users accepted the fact that on UNIX-ish operating systems they assume full responsibility for everything they do or don't do (because the OS will assume exactly that! No matter how stupid the command was you just typed in: you are the user, you're the one with the 1+ billion brain cells, you *have to* know what you do!) then we wouldn't have such discussions I guess :D

koenn
June 5th, 2008, 05:58 PM
If you don't want to study computer science, don't make your computer a server.

Seriously.

I agree, sort of.
On the other hand, anything that accepts incoming connections is technically a server. That includes openssh-server and remote desktops (so you can connect to your own PC from a remote location), sharing files from your PC to other PC's, to setting up a web server and the likes. Reading these forums, it looks as if just about averybody is doing at least 1 of those.

I fully agree that people shouldn't be doing stuff like that, especially not if they also want to provide those services to or over the internet, unless they know what they're doing and understand the security issues involved. (I hate those "how do I set up samba so I can share files with my friends over the internet" threads)

Yet, it happens, and a firewall would help (a bit) to keep it secure.
It would also provide a false sense of security : you need to open up ports in your firewall for servers to actually be accessible, so it's back to square 1 : you need to know what you're doing, or
- you open up too much on your firewall just to make sure everythiong works.
- you neglect other security practices, so alowing people access to 1 service gives them enough room to start messing around, elevate their priviligues, access stuff you didn't intend them to have access to, etc.

I'm undecided about whether having a firewall on by default is a good idea.
But allowing any form of remote access without understanding the consequences is definitively a bad idea.

ad_267
June 13th, 2008, 02:03 AM
If I've installed apache2 and mysql for testing websites locally is there something I need to do to configure iptables?

kevdog
June 13th, 2008, 03:34 AM
All ports are open by default -- so you shouldn't run into any problems. If you need to restrict access, such as to your local LAN or specific computers, this would be the role of altering the iptables.

ad_267
June 13th, 2008, 03:41 AM
All ports are open by default -- so you shouldn't run into any problems. If you need to restrict access, such as to your local LAN or specific computers, this would be the role of altering the iptables.

OK so there aren't any security risks involved with running apache and mysql without configuring iptables?

kevdog
June 13th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Well that depends..

If you are behind a NAT/router, and you don't have any port forwards setup to the internal http server, then your risk would be minimal unless you fear other computers on the LAN.

If you really wanted to lockdown apache, then you could either configure it to filter access, or you could use a firewall for such purposes. Again firewalls just block access, limit access, etc. They just packet filter, redirect packets, etc. They dont authenticate -- this would need to be done with Apache. It just depends on what your needs are.

ad_267
June 13th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Well that depends..

If you are behind a NAT/router, and you don't have any port forwards setup to the internal http server, then your risk would be minimal unless you fear other computers on the LAN.

If you really wanted to lockdown apache, then you could either configure it to filter access, or you could use a firewall for such purposes. Again firewalls just block access, limit access, etc. They just packet filter, redirect packets, etc. They dont authenticate -- this would need to be done with Apache. It just depends on what your needs are.

Ok thanks, I guess I should be fine then.

keiichidono
June 14th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I thought the firewall was on by default but by reading this thread i understand that i don't need one and that it is idle as it has no rules set which is only needed for a server.

Skorzen
June 14th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I thought the Ubuntu firewall was on by default!

RedMartin
June 14th, 2008, 09:06 PM
first time i installed ubuntu (about 3 weeks ago), first thing i did was on console:

sudo netstat -nlp

to check what i was sharing with my internet hackers :)

then i checked that ubuntu default installation don't carry any firewall GUI, so i installed firestarter.

After doing the netstat -nlp thing what results did you get and what should I be looking for?

kevdog
June 15th, 2008, 12:16 AM
You just want to check for listening processes since this will tell you if you have an open port with a listening process behind it. Post what you have if you don't understand.

RedMartin
June 15th, 2008, 10:12 AM
You just want to check for listening processes since this will tell you if you have an open port with a listening process behind it. Post what you have if you don't understand.

This is what is see with sudo netstat -nlp.

Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:631 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 5351/cupsd
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:68 0.0.0.0:* 5728/dhclient
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5353 0.0.0.0:* 5318/avahi-daemon:
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:56685 0.0.0.0:* 5318/avahi-daemon:
Active UNIX domain sockets (only servers)
Proto RefCnt Flags Type State I-Node PID/Program name Path
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 14079 5714/gdm /var/run/gdm_socket
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 13108 5424/winbindd /tmp/.winbindd/pipe
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 14117 5721/X /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 14553 5951/gconfd-2 /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-173f-0-73afb49160b6a
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 14563 5958/gnome-keyring- /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-173d-0-4cae673e713f1
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 14801 5958/gnome-keyring- /tmp/keyring-7qSRVx/socket
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 14803 5958/gnome-keyring- /tmp/keyring-7qSRVx/ssh
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 14805 5958/gnome-keyring- /tmp/keyring-7qSRVx/socket.pkcs11
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 15204 6049/seahorse-agent /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-1747-0-6699ee5f79060
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 15235 5959/gnome-session /tmp/seahorse-IPYAPu/S.gpg-agent
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 15278 5959/gnome-session /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-1747-0-7c28ac71d36ff
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 15282 5959/gnome-session /tmp/.ICE-unix/5959
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 15443 6054/gnome-settings /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-17a6-0-14bf25db386da
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 19044 6086/pulseaudio /tmp/.esd-1000/socket
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 19050 6086/pulseaudio /tmp/pulse-martin/native
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 12825 5255/dbus-daemon /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 19115 6166/gconf-helper /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-1816-0-10acb0f47ee01
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 19417 6311/gnome-screensa /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-18a6-0-38b880b8bdb32
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 19586 6322/gnome-panel /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-18b2-0-4aceb79123a70
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 19641 6321/nautilus /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-18b1-0-4aceb79138d7c
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 19720 6326/bonobo-activat /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-18b6-0-631b3fd463b05
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 20569 6387/update-notifie /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-18f3-0-38df781a74c9a
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 20575 6426/gnome-power-ma /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-18f1-0-38df781a75ad9
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 20618 6429/gnome-volume-m /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-18fe-0-565e29619ed3d
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 20638 6384/compiz.real /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-18f0-0-4832f9d3c1028
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 21775 6540/firefox /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-198c-0-29e89fee1e050
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 13864 5635/hcid /var/run/sdp
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 20690 6400/nm-applet /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-1900-0-5ebee57255e7a
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 20988 6478/trashapplet /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-194e-0-2fb95c0fb1eb0
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 21109 6494/gtk-window-dec /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-195e-0-1d876c0356a11
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 21196 6500/mixer_applet2 /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-1964-0-794cfd2d37d2d
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 21217 6497/gnome-brightne /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-1961-0-794cfd2d57ba7
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 22792 6708/evolution-data /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-1a34-0-4e40ce7749615
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 22857 6712/evolution-exch /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-1a38-0-4e40ce77ab234
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 23442 6812/gnome-terminal /tmp/orbit-martin/linc-1a9c-0-6a7c060bb7e3a
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 13110 5424/winbindd /var/run/samba/winbindd_privileged/pipe
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 12606 5063/acpid /var/run/acpid.socket
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 13918 5656/bluetoothd-ser @/org/bluez/audio
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 13866 5635/hcid @/var/run/dbus-KcLnd8DBcO
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 12916 5318/avahi-daemon: /var/run/avahi-daemon/socket
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 12957 5351/cupsd /var/run/cups/cups.sock
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 13145 5488/hald @/var/run/hald/dbus-XHnslFeT4F
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 13162 5488/hald @/var/run/hald/dbus-oe4z0BhaSU
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 15296 6053/dbus-daemon @/tmp/dbus-Tj77tbr6Ha
martin@martin-laptop:~$

kevdog
June 15th, 2008, 06:30 PM
These are your listening processes:

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:631 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 5351/cupsd
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:68 0.0.0.0:* 5728/dhclient
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5353 0.0.0.0:* 5318/avahi-daemon:
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:56685 0.0.0.0:* 5318/avahi-daemon:

cups is only listening on the lo interface. Your dhclient is for your router. Im not an expert with avahi, however that is the only other listening process. Perhaps someone could shed light on whether avahi represents a possible security risk.

scorp123
June 15th, 2008, 09:41 PM
As I wrote above ...

sudo lsof -n -i -P | grep LISTEN ... this gives much nicer and less confusing output ;)

RedMartin
June 18th, 2008, 06:21 PM
As I wrote above ...

sudo lsof -n -i -P | grep LISTEN ... this gives much nicer and less confusing output ;)

In that case, how does this look?

cupsd 5150 root 2u IPv4 12985 TCP 127.0.0.1:631 (LISTEN)

ma_nkooo
June 18th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Thne how can I turn it on?

aysiu
June 18th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Thne how can I turn it on?
It is on. It's just not blocking anything right now, because there's nothing to block.

Are you running an OpenSSH Server, FTP server, or Apache?

ma_nkooo
June 18th, 2008, 06:40 PM
It is on. It's just not blocking anything right now, because there's nothing to block.

Are you running an OpenSSH Server, FTP server, or Apache?no.

kevdog
June 19th, 2008, 05:31 AM
If you are not running any listening processes (which would include samba), then a firewall aint going to do you much good) -- or you are not sharing your internet connection -- that would be yet another scenario where a firewall would be helpful. It doesnt seem like this describes your situation however.