PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Optimize Ubuntu for Specific Hardware

Forsythe
June 4th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for awhile now (since the release of Dapper Drake) and on various machines with varying results. One thing I've noticed is that different systems seem to do better/worse with the same exact installations of the same software. When my laptop was having issues a year ago with Fiesty, my desktop had absolutely no issues at all.

So, this leads me to my preliminary question, is it worth configuring Ubuntu to run on your specific hardware? And, secondly, if it is, how would you go about doing it?

I've read about customizing your kernel and doing general performance boost stuff like disabling startup services that you won't need (disabling bluetooth on my desktop, for example, since it doesn't have that capability anyway). However, I've not found anything recommending finding and building a set of drivers specifically for the hardware you have to give a performance boost.

I've also heard that other distros are much better for customizing linux to adapt to a specific set of hardware. Other people I've asked have recommended I switch to Gentoo or Slackware or something with more customizability. However, while I'm looking for a way to optimize my linux install, I'm not really looking to squeeze every last ounce out of my computer. Plus, I like Ubuntu - it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling as opposed to feeling like I'm being hit over the head repeatedly with a large, blunt object (which is how I felt using Windows).

So, if anyone could point me in the right direction (even if you could just help me figure out what to search for, because I'm sure a similar question has been posted before and I just haven't found it), that would be a huge help.

Forsythe
June 4th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Any help? Is this perhaps in the wrong section...?