PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Todays Update broke my Deleted items

schtufbox
June 4th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I'm using ubuntu 8.04 (hardy heron)
I did an update around an hour ago, and now my 'Deleted items' icon is no longer showing on the panel.
It still works, I can click on the area it should be, and open the deleted items folder, and I can right click the area and select 'empty deleted items' but there is no icon
I even changed icon themes a couple of times, just in case...no matter which theme I use..no deleted items icon appears.

Anyone have any ideas what to do to fix it?
I did a forum search for related issues but nothing helped in the ones that were similar.

schtufbox
June 4th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Anyone got any ideas? :)

temaki
June 6th, 2008, 03:14 AM
This happen to me as well, try rebooting..

ChameleonDave
June 6th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Strange bug. I don't have GNOME, so I can't duplicate it.

Have you tried removing the trashcan applet and re-adding it?

ludidado
June 8th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Same problem here.
There is no applet to remove.
It's just gone and can not be added on any panel or drawer.
P.S.
The .Trash folder is gone too.

ChameleonDave
June 9th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Perhaps the update removed a package providing panel applets.

Go to /var/log/apt. It contains logs of your recent installation and uninstallation activity. Perhaps you could have a look, or show us your logs. That way we can work out what was removed.

sidran
June 9th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I have the same issue. The icon isn't there, though I can click the area to get the trash window. Though my last update was days ago and I don't look at that part of my screen that often, so I don't know when it exactly started happening.

Removing and re-adding the Trash icon does nothing but remove and re-add a 0 (or 1, since I can click it?) invisible trash icon. Rebooting doesn't help either. My only idea is perhaps the icon graphic isn't loading for some reason, but I have no idea how it does this nor how to fix it.

sstusick
June 9th, 2008, 02:03 AM
This reminds me why I don't do updates.

joechummer
June 9th, 2008, 04:26 AM
This reminds me why I don't do updates.

I'm right there with you. I have an EeePC with Xandros on it and updated all the software with apt. For some reason, the Perl update (which I didn't need since I don't even use Perl -- I'm a Ruby man) broke a half dozen packages, and fixing those packages broken two dozen more, and so on and so on until my entire desktop environment was uninstalled. When I rebooted, all I got was a blank screen after POST. Needless to say, I had to restore the whole thing, but thank God I backed up all of my relevant data to an external source before rebooting, or else I'd have lost everything!

But, back to the subject. Even though Ubuntu is free/open-source, I thought updates were thoroughly tested and debugged before being released? I'm about to install Ubuntu on my main desktop at home, and stories like these make this (relative) Linux newbie a little worried.

schizoman
June 14th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I've got a trash icon, but it doesn't point to my .Trash folder. I have to use the command line to empty most of my trash. Geesh.

sidran
June 23rd, 2008, 04:40 AM
Well, I just updated today, and apparently one of the updates fixed this problem. I now have 17 Deleted Items icons peppered throughout both my panels in Gnome. Thanks whoever fixed it! Hopefully it doesn't go broke again.