PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] UI Environment Questions

kentcb
June 4th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Hi,

I understand that KDE and Gnome are different UI environments for linux. But that's about all I understand. Where can I find answers to questions such as:

- why would I choose one over the other?
- is Gnome software compatible with a KDE interface, and vice-versa?
- assuming software for one interface is incompatible with the other, how is this a good thing for developers? Do they generally produce their software with support for both interfaces?
- is it considered "good practice" to have both installed and available on your linux box? I understand Ubuntu - which I run - comes with Gnome and without KDE, but Kubuntu is the opposite.

Thanks for any help,
Kent

overdrank
June 4th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Hi,

I understand that KDE and Gnome are different UI environments for linux. But that's about all I understand. Where can I find answers to questions such as:

- why would I choose one over the other?
- is Gnome software compatible with a KDE interface, and vice-versa?
- assuming software for one interface is incompatible with the other, how is this a good thing for developers? Do they generally produce their software with support for both interfaces?
- is it considered "good practice" to have both installed and available on your linux box? I understand Ubuntu - which I run - comes with Gnome and without KDE, but Kubuntu is the opposite.

Thanks for any help,
Kent

Hi and this link has some good info
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome
You can use KDE apps on gnome and vice-versa.
I have had all three KDE, Gnome, XFCE on a system to learn and for helping others.