PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Upgrading from Feisty to Gutsy to Hardy - Anything special to do?

StooJ
June 4th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Hi all.

My girlfriend's computer refused to install Hardy or Gutsy last night, both the normal and alternate CDs failed :(

However, Feisty worked fine, so I installed a completely clean Feisty (with clean /Home partition too) and then upgraded to Gutsy, then to Hardy. I'm sorry about hammering the servers last night!

Are there any bits and pieces I need to clean up? I have a nagging feeling that there will be "feisty pieces" left over. Somehow the desktop still feels "feisty-ey" now the system is running 8.04.

That is possibly because of the low resolutions X is configured with, though. I'll need to run the X config again.

Thanks all.

mikewhatever
June 4th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Provided, your 'nagging feeling' is the only sign of 'feisty pieces', I wouldn't worry about it. What strikes me as odd, is that upgrading worked while clean install did not.:confused:

Sef
June 4th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Provided, your 'nagging feeling' is the only sign of 'feisty pieces', I wouldn't worry about it. What strikes me as odd, is that upgrading worked while clean install did not

I suspect that the cd-rom/rw was not set to boot before the hard drive or it is faulty. To have 4 bad disks would be another possibility.

StooJ
June 6th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Yeah, it's the Hard Disk.

A new one should arrive today. And a CD drive since her original one wouldn't work fantastically well (I plugged a working drive in for the installation).

So, clean install when it arrives, and all will be well again. Marking as solved - cheers guys.