PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 two times installed!

RoyRogers
June 4th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I have installed 8.4. Really happy with it. :D. I made a mistake though.. First install didn't succeed. Install no. 2 is ok. Problem: I now have two instances of 8.04. Tried to remove the first via gparted, but it says...not allowed to remove /sda5 og /sda6.

From gparted it looks like this:
/dev/sda1 NTFS
/dev/sda2 NTFS
/dev/sda3 NTFS
/dev/sda4 extended
/dev/sda7 ext3
/dev/sda8 linux-swap
/dev/sda5 ext3
/dev/sda6 linux swap

I wanted to incorporate sda5 and sda 6 into sda7 and sda8, where 8.04 are installed. HOWTO pls. Must say that I am a newbie tho linux but i wreally like it.

Mine system is dualboot with XP

wdaniels
June 4th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Best to boot back into the live CD and alter the partitions from there - you can't change a partition while it's in use.

clarkyscored
June 4th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I have installed 8.4. Really happy with it. :D. I made a mistake though.. First install didn't succeed. Install no. 2 is ok. Problem: I now have two instances of 8.04. Tried to remove the first via gparted, but it says...not allowed to remove /sda5 og /sda6.

From gparted it looks like this:
/dev/sda1 NTFS
/dev/sda2 NTFS
/dev/sda3 NTFS
/dev/sda4 extended
/dev/sda7 ext3
/dev/sda8 linux-swap
/dev/sda5 ext3
/dev/sda6 linux swap

I wanted to incorporate sda5 and sda 6 into sda7 and sda8, where 8.04 are installed. HOWTO pls. Must say that I am a newbie tho linux but i wreally like it.

Mine system is dualboot with XP

I've got this exact same issue. I went to change it from the live cd and screwed up the grub though. I'm too scared to do it again...

Are there any other ways?

Pumalite
June 4th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Go Manual and delete the partitions within the extended one. Then make new ones for the new installation.

clarkyscored
June 4th, 2008, 02:35 PM
In partition editor, mine looks like this.

/dev/sda1 ntfs (windows)

/dev/sda8 extended 38.75gb
/dev/sda8 ext3
/dev/sad9 linux-swap
/dev/sad5 ext3 /media/disk-3
/dev/sad6 linux-swap
/dev/sad7 ext3 /media/disk

I know it's a mess, but I don't know which one to delete. I only want one linux.

Pumalite
June 4th, 2008, 02:43 PM
You have to work with unmounted drives/partitions. Gparted Live CD is good for that:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php
Burn to disk and boot from it.

clarkyscored
June 4th, 2008, 02:59 PM
You have to work with unmounted drives/partitions. Gparted Live CD is good for that:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php
Burn to disk and boot from it.

I've got it. When I used it, I deleted something I shouldnt have, and it screwed the grub thing. I don't which one I'm supposed to delete. Can I do it from windows? This is my thread's post.

I kept stuffing up my installation of Ubuntu and I've installed it three times in as many days. Now I think I have three different Ubuntu partitions still present on my HDD. Obviously I'd like to get rid of them and keep just one with my windows partition.

So I went into my windows partition thing and it shows this...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a26/g-drive/Untitled-3.jpg

IN the linux partitioner it looks like this

/dev/sda1 ntfs (windows)

/dev/sda8 extended 38.75gb
/dev/sda8 ext3
/dev/sad9 linux-swap
/dev/sad5 ext3 /media/disk-3
/dev/sad6 linux-swap
/dev/sad7 ext3 /media/disk

Does this mean I have three unnecessary Ubuntu partitions? It would make sense, because I've reinstalled three times... I don't want to delete anything, because last time I stuffed up the grub client, which is another reason I had to reinstall..

RoyRogers
June 30th, 2008, 04:20 PM
In the end. I had to reinstall everything. Tried to use GParted Live CD, and ****** it up ofcourse. (Lost Grub). Luckily I now and then take a backup.:D
New install, update everything, and its all GO. :guitar: