PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Latest Hardy Kernel

Redptc
June 4th, 2008, 05:39 AM
What is the latest Hardy Kernel? I am using 2.6.24-16 has there been a later version?

wdaniels
June 4th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Yes, we're up to 2.6.24-18 now (as of today I think since I'm still on 17). You can always check these things with the package search (http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=linux-image&searchon=names&suite=hardy&section=all).

Bubba64
June 4th, 2008, 06:01 AM
2.6.24-18 Downloaded today

Redptc
June 4th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Thank you. I guess I'll have to work out how to get up to date.

Bubba64
June 4th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Thank you. I guess I'll have to work out how to get up to date.

I didn't look to see if it came from the main or any of the extras in software sources I have everything on except source.

nsramkishen
June 4th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I encountered the "initramfs" problem with the -17 kernel and had to revert to -16. Has that been sorted out in -18?

Bubba64
June 4th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I encountered the "initramfs" problem with the -17 kernel and had to revert to -16. Has that been sorted out in -18?

Personally I haven't had a problem with any kernel, you might give a better description of what that problem was, I don't have a clue about what your talking about, and I suspect few others do. I suggest this if you really want some help.

vamsibethapudy
June 4th, 2008, 08:10 AM

yes i had the same problem with 24.17
but then i booted into 24.16 which was present there in grub & it booted.
then the next time i tried 24.17 it booted too.
i think it takes some patience.
[i just installed 18 now & have to restart , hope it works!]

vamsibethapudy
June 4th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Personally I haven't had a problem with any kernel, you might give a better description of what that problem was, I don't have a clue about what your talking about, and I suspect few others do. I suggest this if you really want some help.

during the booting process , the ubuntu orange bar just moves back & forth then some bluebox software opens with a prompt like thing (initramfs)then u have nowhere else to go other than force-quitting.

Bubba64
June 4th, 2008, 08:25 AM
during the booting process , the ubuntu orange bar just moves back & forth then some bluebox software opens with a prompt like thing (initramfs)then u have nowhere else to go other than force-quitting.

I looked up what initramfs meant, since I am not a geek I have no answer to this sort of problem, but I hope the latest kernel is working for you, and the other poster.

Sef
June 4th, 2008, 09:31 AM
After updating to this kernel, it boots up much faster.