PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] beginner hardware and linux

mbaggs
June 4th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Can anyone help with info on the GA-X48T-DQ6 mother board 4GB 1333 DDR3 and 2x500GB sata HDD and ubuntu linux please help as im a newby and sick of windows decided ti move to linux

InfinityCircuit
June 4th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Gigabyte/intel boards are well supported...this should be fine.

ZabiGG
June 4th, 2008, 02:25 PM
My advice to you is to start with the basics. Read a good install how-to and you may very well solve your problems.

Click the "Look here" link in my signature below to find useful info.

And welcome to Ubuntu :)

Xkutzy
June 4th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Why not give the live CD a try and see how you get on?

powerpleb
June 4th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Can anyone help with info on the GA-X48T-DQ6 mother board 4GB 1333 DDR3 and 2x500GB sata HDD and ubuntu linux please help as im a newby and sick of windows decided ti move to linux

All that stuff will be fine. I think you may need the 64bit version if you want to use 4gb of RAM, but i may be wrong.

Most hardware vs Linux issues are usually with a) video drivers and b) wireless networking drivers. So it might be a good idea to post the details of any of this hardware you have.

Paqman
June 4th, 2008, 02:46 PM
All that stuff will be fine. I think you may need the 64bit version if you want to use 4gb of RAM, but i may be wrong.

Nope, that's only a problem in Windows, because it reserves part of the memory for system use. Shouldn't be an issue in Liunx.

But then again we also have such good 64-bit support there's not really any reason to throttle yourself down to 32-bit on Linux anyway.

Sef
June 4th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Duplicate Posting. Locked.