PDA

View Full Version : > $6,099 Laptop ?

Novega
June 4th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I just got a new catalog in the mail from Tigerdirect and I saw this
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3655649&CatId=1891
I wonder how many of these they sell? :p I don't own a laptop but if I was going to buy one, I doubt I'd spend that much considering the short lifecycle of computers and gadgets on the market today.

Your thoughts? Anyone seen a more expensive one?

arinlares
June 4th, 2008, 05:08 AM
just checked the specs. Amazing. I have heard of a Mac gaming pc that retails for more, don't remember the price, but it has 4 dual-core processors, 4 gpus, and lots of other goodies. pretty sure it would fetch more.

bufsabre666
June 4th, 2008, 05:09 AM
humans are strange creatures, i bet there are ganna be a bunch of people who buy these cause this is a big e-***** measuring stick, my computer costs more than yours so it must be better

swoll1980
June 4th, 2008, 05:12 AM
It must have one of those new open source video cards in it

toupeiro
June 4th, 2008, 05:32 AM
I'm not overly impressed to be honest. I mean its a nice laptop and all, very powerful, but not really a "sweet spot". when compared to other high performance laptops out there for the price. How many threaded applications to you really crunch on a laptop that take full advantage of quad core?

I'm not saying quad core doesn't have its place in the consumer market, but the vast majority of consumer software has not caught up, especially in the mobility market.

I can get an HP 8710w with a T9500 dual core, 8GB of RAM and a 512MB quadro-FX 1600M for a few thousand less.. I'll likely use the 8GB of ram far before I perminantly tap out both cores on that T9500, and if by some chance I do its cheaper to put that power in a desktop and use VNC or SSH if I am not in front of it. :) The 8710w also gives me on board HDMI and a blu-ray player. If I were going to spend my own money on something, I'd sacrifice the quad core bragging rights for the full package offered by HP. I have a 4GB model of the 8710w with the T8300 and the 512MB Quadro card that my work provided for me. Its a monster laptop with no shortage of power and resources. I think they paid in the ballpark of $2,600 - $2,800 at the time. (beginning of the year) I could probably get 2 in that configuration today for the asking price of the quad.

Bubba64
June 4th, 2008, 05:33 AM
humans are strange creatures, i bet there are ganna be a bunch of people who buy these cause this is a big e-***** measuring stick, my computer costs more than yours so it must be better

What I want to know is there a special mount for it on my mid life crisis harley davidson, you know the one with the open pipes, oh and don't you love my ponytail on my hard tail.

shadylookin
June 4th, 2008, 06:01 AM
they don't list it, but I imagine that "laptop" weighs enough to crush your pelvis :lolflag:

160GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive

for 6000 dollars I would expect better

bufsabre666
June 4th, 2008, 06:13 AM
What I want to know is there a special mount for it on my mid life crisis harley davidson, you know the one with the open pipes

its right next to the gun rack

Kingsley
June 4th, 2008, 06:25 AM
they don't list it, but I imagine that "laptop" weighs enough to crush your pelvis :lolflag:

160GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive

for 6000 dollars I would expect better
Yeah, I've seen laptops with a 250 GB hard drive selling for less than $800.

kostkon
June 4th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Second overpriced piece of hardware I have seen mentioned here in these forums after this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=815939)!

Midwest-Linux
June 4th, 2008, 07:22 AM
What? no Blu-ray ?

Lord Xeb
June 4th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I just got a new catalog in the mail from Tigerdirect and I saw this
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3655649&CatId=1891
I wonder how many of these they sell? :p I don't own a laptop but if I was going to buy one, I doubt I'd spend that much considering the short lifecycle of computers and gadgets on the market today.

Your thoughts? Anyone seen a more expensive one?

I have seen some laptops that are better than this running an 8800GTX in SLI and have 2 160GB HDD, 4GB of ram, and an x9000 Core 2 Duo Extreme running at 2.8. All of this for around 4000-5000 USD. Also, the mem is clocked at 880