PDA

View Full Version : Banned from IRC

UnsafeData
June 4th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Banned from IRC because someone thought one swear word is being extremely rude to everyone and that I am swearing too much, and that I deserve a ban without warning so then I can get a message saying I've been banned and that I don't need to be banned because my system isn't supported in that room anyways (ppc) and that I should stick with the other one (when three Intel computers of mine have Ubuntu on them).

He didn't give me a warning when all I said was one swear word and he made it sound as if he thought he saw me swearing more than once and being extremely rude. One word is a swear, not "swears".

So how do I get unbanned?

Rhubarb
June 4th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Try logging in with a different nick, and don't swear again.

tamoneya
June 4th, 2008, 04:20 AM
you should hit the report button next to your post and you can contact a mod. If they determine that the post should be deleted they will do it for you.

UnsafeData
June 4th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Try logging in with a different nick, and don't swear again.

He banned my IP like an idiot.

bufsabre666
June 4th, 2008, 04:41 AM
suck it up and watch your mouth

buntunub
June 4th, 2008, 04:46 AM
He banned my IP like an idiot.

I can see by your attitude that you got banned for good reason.

1. Your system is not supported.

2. Offensive language is not tolerated on IRC.

This is Ubuntu (look that word up to understand its connotations). The distro that prides itself on "Linux for Humans", Free love.. err.. Software, etc. Besides, you probably dont have the Tye Dye T shirt either, so your out.

Phenax
June 4th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Realistically,

Lose your attitude. Regardless if you are right or wrong about the situation you are not the one in power; you will just dig yourself a deeper grave if you keep arguing or moaning about it.
Go on IRC and find the person that banned you (ideally) or another Operator for the room you've been banned from. Privately message (/query) them and kindly ask them to un-ban you. You may or may not get unbanned.

swoll1980
June 4th, 2008, 04:50 AM
here on Ubuntu Forums you can swear all you want like this '****' see it wont work

UnsafeData
June 4th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I can see by your attitude that you got banned for good reason.

1. Your system is not supported.

2. Offensive language is not tolerated on IRC.

This is Ubuntu (look that word up to understand its connotations). The distro that prides itself on "Linux for Humans", Free love.. err.. Software, etc. Besides, you probably dont have the Tye Dye T shirt either, so your out.

1. This system is not supported, yet my other computers running Ubuntu definitely are and at times I use the IRC for support. Unless you haven't been reading this thread, you should know that I've said this already. Not good reason if I'm not going to get support other than through here and an annoying mailing list.

2. Yes, and I've seen offensive language being used and warnings given. I don't recall anyone saying one swear word in a non-offensive way (yet it is offensive..) and someone getting banned. Even if it slipped out, they aren't banned right away.. which is why I think I deserve a second chance here.

3. I hate hippie shirts :(

macogw
June 4th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Realistically,

Lose your attitude. Regardless if you are right or wrong about the situation you are not the one in power; you will just dig yourself a deeper grave if you keep arguing or moaning about it.
Go on IRC and find the person that banned you (ideally) or another Operator for the room you've been banned from. Privately message (/query) them and kindly ask them to un-ban you. You may or may not get unbanned.

#2 should happen in #ubuntu-ops

The thing about "no warning" though...I'm not sure I believe that nothing was said at all. Generally there are a few people jumping to say "!language" before an op takes any action.

swoll1980: stop it.

lisati
June 4th, 2008, 05:18 AM
It's not always easy but swearing on the forums should be avoided where possible. We're a mixed bunch here at the forums, and some of us can handle swearing better than others.

The safest bet is to not !@#$%-well swear, and, as has been previously mentioned, disguise it if you feel a colourful word or two is called for.

UnsafeData
June 4th, 2008, 10:34 AM
#2 should happen in #ubuntu-ops

The thing about "no warning" though...I'm not sure I believe that nothing was said at all. Generally there are a few people jumping to say "!language" before an op takes any action.

swoll1980: stop it.

You better believe it because it's true. No !language or anything.

And right now I actually need help and I can't get in the IRC. Oh, and guess what, it's on a different system.

billgoldberg
June 4th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Reset your router to get a different ip, or use a proxy if you can't switch ip's.

John.Michael.Kane
June 4th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I would not advise you trying to circumvent the current ban on your ip, as this will make your case for unbanning more difficult.

To appeal your ban follow the out line listed here Irc-AppealProcess (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrcTeam/AppealProcess)

For future reference here is the ubuntu-IrcGuidelines (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrcGuidelines?highlight=(irc))

PriceChild
June 4th, 2008, 01:35 PM
What John.Michael.Kane said is correct and the proper procedure.

Please turn up in #ubuntu-ops, or message me on irc to discuss it. (My nickname is PriceChild)

I'm closing this thread.