PDA

View Full Version : Do you see vector graphics being displayed w/o Flash in browsers in next 20 years?

YAOMTC
June 4th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I don't currently know of any development in this area, but I think it would be a great advancement for web design. What do you think?

EDIT: After some research, I've decided we won't start seeing SVG on webpages until WebKit and Gecko have full SVG support, and one of the following, or something similar, happens:
A) Microsoft puts native SVG support in IE
B) a majority of web designers decide to give up on IE and push IE users to better options, forcing IE to add SVG support (psh, yeah right)
C) WebKit- and Gecko-based browsers overtake IE

lisati
June 4th, 2008, 12:50 AM
I don't know about Flash, but I vaguely recall something in the nature of vector graphics being around 30 years ago, before the first of the x86 range of computers (and Macs, for that matter) were released; the machines around then didn't use Flash as we know it now.

It is within the bounds of possibility that someone will do something with the idea.....but can we know?

Vitamin-Carrot
June 4th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Vector ... herm ... surely a java script or pearl or dhtml will b able to render said images wihtout the user of flash

FFighter
June 4th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Flash is not only about vector graphics, Flash is about Rich Internet Applications.

I would say it is already perfectly possible to render vector graphics currently, using SVG.

toupeiro
June 4th, 2008, 01:04 AM
20 years?! At the rate technology advances in one year I'd say if there were active development towards something like that it would/could happen well before 20 years if you consider how long vector graphics have been around in comparison to flash technology.

SunnyRabbiera
June 4th, 2008, 01:11 AM
heck flash may not be a factor anymore soon, as it seems adobe is getting its act together a bit.

YAOMTC
June 4th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Flash is not only about vector graphics, Flash is about Rich Internet Applications.

I would say it is already perfectly possible to render vector graphics currently, using SVG.I didn't say the only purpose of Flash was vector graphics. I'm just saying that it would be great to have support for vector graphics on any website without need for a third-party app/plugin. Wikipedia informs me that Firefox has partial SVG support, but that's of course not enough to justify web designers start using it, especially since IE doesn't have any native support for it.

20 years?! At the rate technology advances in one year I'd say if there were active development towards something like that it would/could happen well before 20 years if you consider how long vector graphics have been around in comparison to flash technology.
I don't think we'll start seeing SVG on webpages until WebKit and Gecko have full SVG support, and one of the following, or something similar, happens:
A) Microsoft puts native SVG support in IE
B) a majority of web designers decide to give up on IE and push IE users to better options, forcing IE to add SVG support (psh, yeah right)
C) WebKit- and Gecko-based browsers overtake IE

SunnyRabbiera
June 4th, 2008, 01:44 AM
A is probably the most likely to happen given the current state of things, but even so that might be good for us in the long run.

geoken
June 4th, 2008, 02:15 AM
How do you define vector graphics?

HTML/CSS could be called a vector graphic format.

klange
June 4th, 2008, 02:23 AM
SVG is the preferred graphics format on Wikipedia. Good enough for me. Last I checked, they request that all non-photographic images be vectorized. I don't think their policy has changed.

Npl
June 4th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Opera already can display SVG natively.
And I truly hope that Browsers will support flash natively (or atleast through something better than the horrible netscape-plugin interface) in a couple years, now that specs are open and license-free.

YAOMTC
June 4th, 2008, 02:40 AM
SVG is the preferred graphics format on Wikipedia. Good enough for me. Last I checked, they request that all non-photographic images be vectorized. I don't think their policy has changed.
Don't they become PNG, though?

init1
June 4th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Wikipedia already used SVG, but I haven't seen any animations with it yet. I assume it could be animated with some JavaScript though.