PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] How to Disable Desktop Effects from Starting?

davinci0212
June 3rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
I downloaded some Ubuntu security updates yesterday and when I rebooted, I was unable to successfully log into Gnome. I got through the login screen, but when logging in, all I can see is this whitish background; no desktop, no menus, etc. I can still activate Expose, but all I can see is a zoomed out whitish background. I am able to get into a Gnome failsafe session.

I have a Thinkpad T43p with ATI graphics. I believe these are relevant error messages from dmesg:

[ 144.104996] fglrx: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
[ 590.385308] compiz.real[6792]: segfault at 04790436 eip 08055a80 esp bff864e0 error 4
[ 222.420181] fglrx: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module

I think I can log in to a normal Gnome session if I can disable Compiz from running. Is there a way I can turn this off in a text file?

Many thanks from a N00b!

spadewarrior
June 3rd, 2008, 11:14 PM
Try Alt+F2 then in the box type

metacity --replace

If that works, add it to your startup in the prefs/admin area (can't remember where that is on GNOME, not used it in a while).

Hope that helps. :)

davinci0212
June 4th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Thanks spadewarrior. The funny thing is that I was prompted to install more security updates during the Gnome failsafe session. When I restarted all became good with Gnome. Compiz is now working fine.

....go figure, right? :)

Try Alt+F2 then in the box type

metacity --replace

If that works, add it to your startup in the prefs/admin area (can't remember where that is on GNOME, not used it in a while).

Hope that helps. :)

spadewarrior
June 4th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Very strange. No idea about that! I'm a noob too. Glad you're sorted now.

:)