PDA

View Full Version : Accessible Kiosks

solar george
June 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Hi people,

I'm working on a project which will have some touch screen kiosks (if we get a grant) which will run on Ubuntu. I would be interested to know what ideas people have for making them accessible.
My current plan is to have allow whoever is minding the kiosks to activate a screen reader and/or a magnifier as well as switch to a high contrast version of the website when asked (there will be a sign saying that accessibility tools are available if you ask a volunteer (access options will be turned off by default to stop people mucking about with them).
Also I was wondering if it was worth getting hold of a braille terminal and developing a braille version of the system but there doesn't seem to be much info available about linux and braille systems.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Oldsoldier2003
June 4th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Hi people,

I'm working on a project which will have some touch screen kiosks (if we get a grant) which will run on Ubuntu. I would be interested to know what ideas people have for making them accessible.
My current plan is to have allow whoever is minding the kiosks to activate a screen reader and/or a magnifier as well as switch to a high contrast version of the website when asked (there will be a sign saying that accessibility tools are available if you ask a volunteer (access options will be turned off by default to stop people mucking about with them).
Also I was wondering if it was worth getting hold of a braille terminal and developing a braille version of the system but there doesn't seem to be much info available about linux and braille systems.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Kubuntu has a kiosk mode, thats probably a good place to start. I'm not sure exactly how many braille accessible programs there are but a quick google should clear it up. I do know that there is support for the console in braille "brltty" I would suspect that many braille users are already familiar with something similar.

solar george
June 4th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah, I was going to use an LTSP system for the ordinary kiosks, but I was thinking of having a separate kiosk if we can get braille 'display' which works just in text mode, the brltty looks idea. In fact a braille kiosk would be (in some ways) easier to set up than an ordinary one as there is no graphical design to worry about:)