PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] what is the point in envyng existing anymore?

jkuhnert
June 3rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
This used to be an awesome utility for building the latest/greatest nvidia drivers before the sometimes long process of waiting was finished for new drivers to show up in the debian/ubuntu repositories.

Even if some of the version numbers were hard coded it was always relatively easy to modify the easy to read python code to get the version you wanted.

Now that it has become dependent on ubuntu specific debian repositories this kind of freedom is no longer possible. (specifically, getting the newly released 173.14.05 nvidia driver)

If I'm just failing to see the ease with which this can be done using envyng then please accept my apologies in advance...Otherwise, what is the point in using it at all now if it can only install the drivers which are already available in the repos anyway?

Perhaps an enhancement should be done such that you can just manually give it a url (like http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.05/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.05-pkg1.run ) and tell it to use that specific version...

Am I alone in wondering these things? ..

whatchett
June 4th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I am getting the same feeling.

It would be great if EnvyNG was just a shell that supported the installation of drivers downloaded directly from nvidia's website.

I'm running the vesa driver right now on my 9600GT, have been for about a month. At least the official driver is out now, just trying to find the best way of installing it. I'm functional with vesa, so at this point willing to wait until Envy is updated in the repositories.