PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nautlius crashes on home dir

nbo10
June 3rd, 2008, 06:10 PM
Hi All,
I was connected to a server and coping a file over when I lost my internet connection. And now when I open file browser to my home dir in crashes. I can go to other dir just fine. how do I fix this. thanks

pytheas22
June 3rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
Try this command:

mv ~/.nautilus ~/.nautilus-broken

Then log out and back in, and let us know whether the problem has been fixed.

nbo10
June 3rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Nope, After I open my home dir it grays out and if I force a quit it just restarts nautlius each time and I have to restart my computer.

pytheas22
June 3rd, 2008, 07:25 PM
Alright, sorry that didn't work. The next thing to try: create a new user by using the utility at System>Administration>Users and Groups. Log out of your account and log in as the new user. Can you access the new user's home directory in Nautilus? This will tell us whether the problem lies with Nautilus itself or with some user-specific setting.

nbo10
June 3rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
I can create a new user and open nautlius just fine.

arsenic23
June 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
I get this problem sometimes when zips,rars,cbzs, and other media that thumbsnails are in the same directory is some X factor I haven't determined.

Do you have any archives or media files in the root of your home directory? You might try moving them to another folder with the terrminal.

Also you could start nautilus from a terminal and see what errors it spits out, just run:

nautilus ~/

nbo10
June 3rd, 2008, 07:50 PM
Nope, no archives or media files. I started nautilus in a terminal and it started but still froze up with out any error on the command line.

dur
June 3rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
Try logging in as root and removing the file you were trying to copy from your home directory. Login as your second user and execute these commands:

sudo -s
rm -rf (filename here with no parenthesis)

nbo10
June 3rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks. I just started deleting files in my home dir and now it works. Thanks