PDA

View Full Version : c newbie question

cmay
June 3rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
hi.
i am currently following the gnu c tutorial found link in the sticky treadh. i have problems whit getting this code accepted.
it says implicit declariton of builtin function exit
i was up all night drinking lots of coffe and reading trough this tutorial
but i went to bed at 4 night time since i could not compile the examples using the exit funktion. what did i miss?

thanks for reading this.

/* ************************************************** **********************
* aha.c *
* license : restricted by means of impossible usage * *
* purpose : unknown *
* author : completly unknown and absolute unreachable by phone or email *
* ************************************************** ***********************/

#include <stdio.h>
int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
if(argc != 2)
{
printf(" usage : makes [filename][type] default .txt unless else specified \n");
return 1; /* why implicit declaretion of exit(1); ? */
}
else
printf("MESSAGE:look for the file you made in the ./ directory\n");
FILE *file_ptr=fopen(argv[1],"w");
fprintf(file_ptr,"the file is saved as %s \n is that not cool or what :)\n",argv[1]);
fclose(file_ptr); /* how to print to printer ? */
return 0;
}
ps
it was very late and i was very tired. i just posted the last code in question whit the problems i had commented out.

LaRoza
June 3rd, 2008, 06:11 PM
Add:

#include <stdlib.h>

(At the top with stdio.h)

cmay
June 3rd, 2008, 06:17 PM
thanks for the reply.
i dont seem to renember the stdlib was included in the exmples that i found in the tutorial.
i have printed the whole thing out
page by page i could have missed one or two.
anyway thank you.

Martin Witte
June 3rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
How do you compile? I saved your code as test.cpp, then ran 'gcc test.c' in a terminal without problems. The created program (it is by default named 'a.out') runs fine

cmay
June 3rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
i use geany since i know that its supposed to give the -wall option. else if i use nano i use gcc -o myfile ./myfile.c
i wrote this littel testprogram to see if i could begin understand the terminal programs structure
and as well the file part of the tutorial is where i am most focused right now.

LaRoza
June 3rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
How do you compile? I saved your code as test.cpp, then ran 'gcc test.c' in a terminal without problems. The created program (it is by default named 'a.out') runs fine

That shouldn't compile.

Martin Witte
June 3rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
That shouldn't compile.
here you are

martin@toshibap200:~$ cat test.c
/* ************************************************** **********************
* aha.c *
* license : restricted by means of impossible usage * *
* purpose : unknown *
* author : completly unknown and absolute unreachable by phone or email *
* ************************************************** ***********************/

#include <stdio.h>
int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
if(argc != 2)
{
printf(" usage : makes [filename][type] default .txt unless else specified \n");
return 1; /* why implicit declaretion of exit(1); ? */
}
else
printf("MESSAGE:look for the file you made in the ./ directory\n");
FILE *file_ptr=fopen(argv[1],"w");
fprintf(file_ptr,"the file is saved as %s \n is that not cool or what :)\n",argv[1]);
fclose(file_ptr); /* how to print to printer ? */
return 0;
}
martin@toshibap200:~$ gcc test.c -Wall
martin@toshibap200:~$ ls -l a.out
-rwxr-xr-x 1 martin martin 6935 2008-06-03 20:15 a.out
martin@toshibap200:~$ date
Tue Jun 3 20:15:26 CEST 2008
martin@toshibap200:~$

nvteighen
June 3rd, 2008, 07:25 PM
That shouldn't compile.
Yes, it will compile because in the code he's giving he is not using exit(1) but replaced it with "return 1" in main().

@OP: By the way, if you want to print to printer (as you've placed in a comment), you'll get some problems. Either you write your own driver or you better use something external...

Bichromat
June 3rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
LaRoza is just pointing to an error in Martin Witte's post. He says he saved the file as test.cpp and then compiled test.c

LaRoza
June 3rd, 2008, 07:34 PM
LaRoza is just pointing to an error in Martin Witte's post. He says he saved the file as test.cpp and then compiled test.c

Yes, I think I should have pointed that out in my post (was doing something else at the time of writing it)

Martin Witte
June 3rd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Touche, I usually write C++ ....

LaRoza
June 3rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
Touche, I usually write C++ ....

For such situations on the internet, I have my home full of files ready to use:

~$ls p*
p.asm p.bf p.c p.ch p.cpp p.cs p.d p.exe p.f p.hi p.hs p.js p.o p.php p.pl p.py p.sh p.text

cmay
June 3rd, 2008, 07:50 PM
@OP: By the way, if you want to print to printer (as you've placed in a comment), you'll get some problems. Either you write your own driver or you better use something external...
thanks for the info that may come in handy some day.

i did a littel introduktion to programmering in turbo pascal 7 two years ago.
from the top of my head it was something like writeln(lpt1,'print to serial com');
so i must ask the difference in c and pascal on both linux and windows to understand.
i dont need to use the printer right now as you may already have sort of guessed but nice to know anyway
since it seems a bit different working on linux whit files.
i forgot all about pascal as of this moment i was just using it as a stepping stone to learn c.

Joeb454
June 3rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
That's a lot of p's ;)

Though I guess it's better than really long filenames

LaRoza
June 3rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
That's a lot of p's ;)

Though I guess it's better than really long filenames

It stands for "practice". They are just temp programs and are used for testing and samples.

nvteighen
June 3rd, 2008, 08:14 PM
thanks for the info that may come in handy some day.

i did a littel introduktion to programmering in turbo pascal 7 two years ago.
from the top of my head it was something like writeln(lpt1,'print to serial com');
so i must ask the difference in c and pascal on both linux and windows to understand.
i dont need to use the printer right now as you may already have sort of guessed but nice to know anyway
since it seems a bit different working on linux whit files.
i forgot all about pascal as of this moment i was just using it as a stepping stone to learn c.
The easiest way would be to make your program call the "lpr" command, which prints some text to your default printer. There's an example in the same GNU C tutorial (though in the "Building a library" (http://crasseux.com/books/ctutorial/Building-a-library.html#Building%20a%20library) section...!).

More flexible, more interesting and that has introduced me in the world of third-party libraries (and learning how to read some API documentation) is to implement printing using CUPS. Maybe you don't want to learn that now, but at least know that it exists.

cmay
June 3rd, 2008, 08:33 PM
The easiest way would be to make your program call the "lpr" command, which prints some text to your default printer. There's an example in the same GNU C tutorial (though in the "Building a library" section...!).

More flexible, more interesting and that has introduced me in the world of third-party libraries (and learning how to read some API documentation) is to implement printing using CUPS. Maybe you don't want to learn that now, but at least know that it exists.

thank you .
this sounds very interesting .
i will wanna look at the cups when i get more the feel of c programmering.
i also thought about yeasterday writing the
aha.c program that i could maybe do something like system("lpr1");
but it was 4 a clock in the morning and the
missing stdlib left me too many questions towards the exit(1); function.
right now i just play around whit it to get to learn the language .
however this information you gave me is really worth something.
thank you.