PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Installation inside windows, boot loader?

PARO
June 3rd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Does installing Xubuntu inside of windows, "as a windows program" install a boot loader (or can you just "restart into xubuntu" like the old BeOS. If he doesn't like it, I'd have no idea how to get the old WinME booter back to normal, and wouldn't want to mess around trying.

I tried the Xubuntu Live CD, which supposedly works with systems with 128meg of ram, but it is so unbelievably slow that while it may "work" (boot up and allow you in), you can't really do anything in there unless you have hours to waste just to check out the basics. Larger programs take something like 15 min just to load! His system is 1.40GHZ, 128 megs ram, and he doesn't want to partition his hd or anything, so I thought that windows thing might be a good option, if it's easy to uninstall and won't mess with the boot sector.

Partyboi2
June 4th, 2008, 03:49 AM
If you use wubi to install ubuntu in windows it will use the windows bootloader so it will look something like this:
When you reboot you can choose to run Windows or Ubuntu.

http://wubi-installer.org/images/boot-screen.jpg

Edit: running the xubuntu live cd will be alot slower then when xubuntu is installed on your system.

PARO
June 4th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Apparently winME can't boot into ubuntu this way, I guess I should've checked the list of requirements first. Thanks for the help though.