PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Setup/install a printer connected to windows thru USB on network

shuttleworthwannabe
June 3rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Hi there,

simply this is the setup right now:
Printer connected to Windows XP desktop via usb; I have the IP address of the desktop and have the printer in sharing mode. Windows machine logs onto a domain (windows domain). This desktop is always on and there are no firewalls.

I wish to use my Ubuntu laptop that is also hooked up to the network (but not login via domain) to print on the Windows desktop that is connected to the printer via a USB cable.

How do I use Ubuntu printer setup to connect to this USB printer on windows desktop on network.

Many thanks
S:confused:

superprash2003
June 3rd, 2008, 04:32 PM
hope this helps https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsXPPrinter

NikoC
June 3rd, 2008, 04:35 PM
System > Administration > Printing > New printer

Windows Printer Via Samba

Just fill out the ip of the Samba machine (your windows pc) and the printer share name. Finally enter your username and pass and verify...

It worked out of the box for my Desktop Xp Pc and HP deskjet 1010 printer...

Cheers

shuttleworthwannabe
June 3rd, 2008, 05:02 PM
thanks both of you; am away from the network right now, but will try as soon as I get back to work.

shuttleworthwannabe
June 4th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Hi there; I am using Windows Printer with SAMBA. I get error "Print share is not accessible". I know the machine is on and I am logged in. Printer is also on.

Any suggestions?

NikoC
June 5th, 2008, 06:52 AM
A couple of issues that I had when installing the Samba printer (though this was on a previous ubuntu release, running Hardy now) :

- keep the printer's share name short (< 9 characters and no spaces)
- no spaces in you username and or pass

lisati
June 5th, 2008, 06:58 AM
A couple of issues that I had when installing the Samba printer (though this was on a previous ubuntu release, running Hardy now) :

- no spaces in you username and or pass

And don't forget to make sure that printer sharing is enabled on the Windows end.

shuttleworthwannabe
June 6th, 2008, 05:38 AM
The thing is is I dual boot on this remote laptop and when I setup the printer that is connected to the desktop via network using Windows XP on my laptop, it sees the printer on the IP and configures it correctly. So surprized that Ubuntu Hardy using SAMBA not seeing the printer or even able to configure it.

BTW, I have made sure the printer is in share mode and user/pass are appropriate. thanks for that.
S

halitech
June 10th, 2008, 07:13 PM
try it using the IP address of the windows computer. Also, verify the username and password is correct (I forgot I had a different username on my windows box). I used the IP and made sure my username was right and now its working for me.

geezerone
June 14th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I am trying to get printing to XP shared printer to work but unable to do so yet.

I add my Samsung ml1210 and browse ok for it but do I need the user/password or not. I have tried XP user account name and password but says print share is inaccesible when I click 'verify'?

halitech
June 14th, 2008, 03:00 PM
You probably do need the XP username and password. is the sharing set up on the printer to allow the user to do things? Also, try Guest and leave the password blank.

geezerone
June 14th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Tried my XP account name (lower case as shown) and the login password to no avail. I checked and XP printer is shared.

I take it that the exact username and password is what is typed and not the path too (/HOME/PC/...) etc?

halitech
June 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM
correct, it should be the same as what you use to log into the computer. If that doesn't work, try Administrator and what ever the admin password is.

geezerone
June 14th, 2008, 03:15 PM
No joy, still no authentication.

shuttleworthwannabe
June 16th, 2008, 06:52 PM
just to let you also know that I have not been successful at al; stalled at unable to verify and not accessible...

Will try and get my network admin comeby to help me understand this and setup, till then...

cariboo
June 16th, 2008, 08:16 PM
You shouldn't need a password if you have your printer shareed on XP so everyone can use it.

JIm

shuttleworthwannabe
June 17th, 2008, 09:16 AM
ok, I got it to work. for some reason GNOME print manager did not setup correctly. I have installed kcontrol (with kdeprint), and used the GUI there to setp up the SMB printer and worked like a charm. BTW the user/psswd is required.

Thanks you all.
S

bk60544
March 14th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Shuttle, please explain with MORE DETAIL. I am a newbie, and cannot connect the USB printer to connect using SAMBA.

bk60544
March 14th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Using "Windows Printer with SAMBA", rather than Browse- I entered the IP address of the Windows machine, and Shared name of the printer. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/printer. Now it works!

Revjohn
May 4th, 2011, 05:50 PM

Just wanted to let you know that this piece of wisdom solved a couple of hours of head-ache for me. Thank you!

John