PDA

View Full Version : How many of you donate blood?

Moustacha
June 3rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
So how many people out there are "heroes" for donating blood?

Was my 5th time today, full blood donation.

Jordanwb
June 3rd, 2008, 12:28 PM
So you're a hero if you give blood? I find that dumb. More and more surgeries are performed everyday without blood, even extremely complicated ones. New technologies are being created that will soon render blood transfusions obselete. The recovery time is longer if a blood transfusion is given, and it's more expensive for not only the patient but also for the hospital. Also there are more risks with blood transfusions.

quinnten83
June 3rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
I'm not allowed to because I am considered a "high risk" group.
In the Netherlands, if you are a homosexual or from a nation wiht a high incidence of HIV/AIDS you are not allowed to give blood. even though I have myself tested every six months and I am completely drug and disease free. i am alos no allowed to donate my organs, even though the governement wants to make it mandatory to have a badge on you which states if your organs can be used or not.

bufsabre666
June 3rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
i dont consider myself a hero, but im always willing to help out, ive donated 10 pints in the past couple years, i plan on keep donating, and jordanwb youre looking at the future, unfortunatly now, we need it, if we didnt there wouldnt be a huge blood shortage

mr.propre
June 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
yes I donate bloods, my first was 3 days after my 18th birthday.
And I'm also a organ donor, the day I die people get my inside stuff. :lolflag:

I have been thinking of been a kidney donor, but for now I keep them both, maybe in a few years I give one away (for free).

Moustacha
June 3rd, 2008, 12:41 PM
So you're a hero if you give blood? I find that dumb. More and more surgeries are performed everyday without blood, even extremely complicated ones. New technologies are being created that will soon render blood transfusions obselete. The recovery time is longer if a blood transfusion is given, and it's more expensive for not only the patient but also for the hospital. Also there are more risks with blood transfusions.

TBH I find that ignorant. What about burns victims? Car crash victims who've lost a lot of blood? What if you're one of those people, and there weren't enough blood donors for you. I know it's an if, but it may not happen to you, may be family or a friend.

Don't know about the risks with blood transfusions, they check your donated blood to make sure you're not carrying any diseases etc, and have to fill out a questionairre every time. In hospital they would check your blood type too to see what type of blood you can recieve.

EDIT: Here's some uses of donated blood
http://donateblood.com.au/admin%5Cfile%5Ccontent1%5Cc3%5Cblood%20graph.jpg
Source (http://donateblood.com.au/page.aspx?IDDataTreeMenu=40&parent=30)

mips
June 3rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
I used to donate blood a lot, since high school days.

I have however never in my life liked needles. I cannot look when a needle is inserted into my body. When I donated blood I just looked away when they inserted the needle and after that I'm fine.

One day this woman turned me into a pin cushion because she could not find a vein. Two puncture holes in each arm later I got up and walked out. That was the last time I 'tried' to dnoate blood. If you want my blood then at least do your job right. This after I told her to use my left arm (I know) but no dont worry I know what I'm doing....

Jordanwb
June 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
TBH I find that ignorant. What about burns victims? Car crash victims who've lost a lot of blood? What if you're one of those people, and there weren't enough blood donors for you. I know it's an if, but it may not happen to you, may be family or a friend.

How is that ignorant? It's all true. More and more surgeries are being done without blood. In Ontario alone (where I live), they'll no longer give blood unless requested due to the cost. I've heard of a story of heart surgery performed on a new-born baby without blood. I've heard of other extremely complicated surgeries such as knee replacement which was done without blood.

There are blood volume expanders such as erythopoietin (I don't think that's spelt right). In major car accidents there are two important things to do: Stop bleeding, and restore volume (note it's volume, not blood). I've heard stories of coconut juice being used as a volume expander, I can't remember where though. As long as there's some blood in your system and there's something else there taking up the volume of the lost blood you'll be fine. Iron suppliments can boost red cell production. plus there's another drug whose name I can't remember which can also stimulate blood production.

Plus there are other complications that I forgot to mention. Burfsa partially touched on it. You said that screening can detect diseases, that's true it can to some extent but screening can't detect all diseases, plus there's the biggie: human error. Getting A positive instead of A Neg means... well that's obvious.

melrom
June 3rd, 2008, 01:03 PM
on that note, i donate when i can! yay B negative. I don't consider myself a hero either, but it's something that can help save someone's life and it doesn't even harm our own bodies one bit, so why not? :)

Captain Oblivious
June 3rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
They won't let me because I'm anemic (beta thalassemia minor) and I have slightly low blood pressure, so it's not safe for me. If I can somehow increase my red blood cell count and increase my blood pressure, they'd accept my blood, but until then....

melrom
June 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
recently, i've had low iron a lot when i've gone and have not been able to donate.

Moustacha
June 3rd, 2008, 01:36 PM
Do they give you an information booklet on what you can eat to increase your iron? first time i went they gave me a heap of stuff on what to eat/do etc. Spinach is the best vegetable for iron, but not nearly as much as red meat. There's also other vegetables that help the iron intake too.
I had a good sirloin steak yesterday before donation today :D

Novega
June 3rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
I used to, but I had one of my kidneys removed last January and haven't donated since.

Anyone else here AB- ? I doubt it since we're the rarest type I think (like <1% of the population) but it's worth a shot :p

ChameleonDave
June 3rd, 2008, 01:49 PM

Full? As in, they left you a dry, lifeless husk??

Anyway, I once went to donate blood, but I'd had my ears pierced less than 6 months prior to the occasion, so I couldn't.

At a later date, I had to give a tiny amount of blood for testing purposes, and I nearly passed out. I wasn't actually scared; it was just an automatic reaction. Actually donating large amounts is obviously out of the question then.

Moustacha
June 3rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
I used to, but I had one of my kidneys removed last January and haven't donated since.

Anyone else here AB- ? I doubt it since we're the rarest type I think (like <1% of the population) but it's worth a shot :p

It's your lucky day, I'm AB- ):P
They even gave me a key ring with it on :D

Full? As in, they left you a dry, lifeless husk??
:lolflag:
Full blood as opposed to just plasma :P

DrOlaf
June 3rd, 2008, 02:27 PM
As a Brit living in the USA, I'm not allowed to. They're worried I might have Mad Cow Disease.

bufsabre666
June 3rd, 2008, 02:33 PM

((raises hand)) thats why i try to give so often cause theres such a short supply of it

It's your lucky day, I'm AB- ):P
They even gave me a key ring with it on :D

awww i didnt get a ring, im ganna ask about that when i goto red cross again next month

barbedsaber
June 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
too young, but on my 18th birthday, I will get it done. no really, it couldn't hut more than knowing that someone else had to suffer without my blood.

Chokkan
June 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Another Brit here and they don't want our blood here in Japan either.....meh, it's too good for 'em anyway.....I'll keep my prions to myself.

popch
June 3rd, 2008, 06:21 PM
I stopped donating because each time I did it, I broke out in a sweat and the nurses began looking all worried.

swoll1980
June 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
I donate plasma twice a month. Does that count?

BDNiner
June 3rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
I am not allowed to give blood since i was born and raised in Africa. I have tried on 3 separate occasions and was denied each time.

cardinals_fan
June 3rd, 2008, 07:36 PM
My greatest, and most irrational, fear is needles. I'm a twitching wreck just thinking about it...

insane_alien
June 3rd, 2008, 07:40 PM
Three times a year every year whether i want to or not. its either that or an expensive cocktail of drugs every 6th months that will make me severely anaemic.

my body can't dump iron properly, bloodletting works, and it is still OK for donation as it isn't a problem with the blood itself. that was an interesting doctors visit when i got the choice between nearly killing myself with chemicals or donating blood.

red_Marvin
June 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
I wish I would but I faint easily, and do not really have much to give I guess (small body, not anemia).

drumsticks
June 3rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
((raises hand)) thats why i try to give so often cause theres such a short supply of it

That's something I*don't understand. If there's so few with that blood type, surely the demand for it is low as well? Conversely, demand for common blood types are high. My point is, wouldn't it all balance out, regardless of blood rarity?

Jordanwb
June 3rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
That's something I*don't understand. If there's so few with that blood type, surely the demand for it is low as well? Conversely, demand for common blood types are high. My point is, wouldn't it all balance out, regardless of blood rarity?

Oooh logic. Yes demand has reduced a lot because more and more and more surgeries are performed without blood transfusions.

ghindo
June 3rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
I've only donated twice, but I hope I can do it again. I'm B Positive, if anyone's keeping track.

Jordanwb: Just because more surgeries don't necessarily require blood transfusions, doesn't mean blood isn't still needed. Not all hospitals have the technology for these new surgeries. And there are still procedures which require blood transfusions. (At least, I think so.) There are definitely risks, but that's true of any medical procedure.

Neurotripsick
June 3rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
i just started doing it in january. and now this thread reminded me that its time to go donate some more. and yeah im new here and to linux in general.

Novega
June 3rd, 2008, 09:33 PM

Well as I understand it, those of us with AB- are considered to be universal donors for plasma and platelets but can only receive blood from other AB- people...at least I think thats how it goes? I don't really have time to look it up so I'm just going by what the RedCross told me

bobbocanfly
June 3rd, 2008, 11:14 PM
Im too young but i am terrified of needles so probably couldnt even if i passed the crazy amount of tests they do.

beercz
June 3rd, 2008, 11:22 PM
I used to donate, but about 20 years ago I contracted Leptospirosis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospirosis) (which nearly killed me) and I now have a natural immunity to it. As such, I am no longer able to give blood in case I pass on an infection.

If I could I would continue to donate.

Kinst
June 3rd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Gay guys aren't allowed to donate blood.

Doctors tell me I have wonderful veins though.

bufsabre666
June 3rd, 2008, 11:54 PM

yes but what happens when one is in a car crash and needs 5 units of blood? the fact that theres so few doesnt matter, doctors always recommended me that i donate before i could donate. there is such a short supply, so you donate for the worst possible scenario so logic some of the time needs to be thrown out

Pethegreat
June 3rd, 2008, 11:54 PM
I donate plasma twice a month. Does that count?
How much do they pay you? I may look into it as a way to get some quick cash.

Currently I am not elegible(medication I am on). I tried once when I was 17. The person doing it misssed my vein and dug around for 5 minutes. I had the same treatment once before when I had a blood test. I was left with a massive bruise on my arm that lasted 3 weeks after I tried to give blood.

Giving blood makes it easier for you to get drunk since there is less blood for alcohol to mix in.

Dngrsone
June 4th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I donate blood when I can... scheduling is more difficult nowadays.

O- donors are universal: their blood can be used by anyone. Unfortunately for O- recipients, they can only get O- blood.

O+ can donate to any Rh+ recipients. There is always a need for O- because trauma patients often need immediate blood transfusions and there are times when a pint needs to be administered even before the recipient can be typed. Note, also, that blood and blood products have a definite shelf-life, so there is little stockpiling.

Volume expanders help increase blood pressure, but do absolutely nothing for oxygen transfer to tissues, which is the primary purpose of transfusion. Until a suitable substitute has been found, there will be a need for blood donation.

Jordanwb, I'd like to know what your issue is with blood donation. I see some kind of agenda behind your disrespect for the program and its participants. Let's hear it.

drumsticks
June 4th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough initially.

Jordanwb & bufsabre666, this has nothing to do with aggregate demand of blood due to better technology, or [single use (see later)] donor/demand ratios. What I'm saying is that if blood type X is rare and if blood type Y is common, then surely supply of X is low(er), but so is demand. Conversely, supply of Y is high(er), but so is demand. Everything balances out, no?

*I*intentionally not use the correct A, B, AB, O designation so we can focus on the rarity issue.

On the other hand, Novega's explanation is plausible: that some types can mix with others but not the other way around. This can skew the supply, since the pool for universal donors is used for everyone, reducing the supply for those that actually need that specific blood type.

The other possible answer is plain statistics: the larger the population size (in the statistical sense), the smaller the standard deviation of the daily demand/supply ratio. So, for common blood types, the ratio is more constant, but for less common blood types, the daily ratio fluctuates more, so it is necessary to have a larger stockpile to have the same minimum daily ratio. Makes sense?

By the way, I'm a regular A+ donor too ;) Once in three months in Australia. I*hear some countries do it once every two months, for full blood.

-grubby
June 4th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Gay guys aren't allowed to donate blood.

What? WTH. Why aren't gay men allowed to donate blood? Are they "infected" or something? That's prejudiced

bufsabre666
June 4th, 2008, 12:30 AM

Jordanwb & bufsabre666, this has nothing to do with aggregate demand of blood due to better technology, or [single use (see later)] donor/demand ratios. What I'm saying is that if blood type X is rare and if blood type Y is common, then surely supply of X is low(er), but so is demand. Conversely, supply of Y is high(er), but so is demand. Everything balances out, no?

*I*intentionally not use the correct A, B, AB, O designation so we can focus on the rarity issue.

On the other hand, Novega's explanation is plausible: that some types can mix with others but not the other way around. This can skew the supply, since the pool for universal donors is used for everyone, reducing the supply for those that actually need that specific blood type.

The other possible answer is plain statistics: the larger the population size (in the statistical sense), the smaller the standard deviation of the daily demand/supply ratio. So, for common blood types, the ratio is more constant, but for less common blood types, the daily ratio fluctuates more, so it is necessary to have a larger stockpile to have the same minimum daily ratio. Makes sense?

By the way, I'm a regular A+ donor too ;) Once in three months in Australia. I*hear some countries do it once every two months, for full blood.

business supply and demand doesnt matter, in western new york theres way more bing used then comes is, for ab neg there are hospitals here that hav 0 units on hand

Dngrsone
June 4th, 2008, 12:33 AM

I explained a little in my previous post-- the rarer blood types are also more universally acceptable by recipients. That, plus shelf-life issues means that demand is going to be higher for those rare types.

What? WTH. Why aren't gay men allowed to donate blood? Are they "infected" or something? That's prejudiced

The 'lifestyle' is extremely high-risk, as is that of illicit drug users: HIV, Hepatitis for starters.

beartard
June 25th, 2008, 06:19 AM
It's federal law in the United States. The actual question they ask when you go to donate is "have you had sex with another man, even once, since 1977?" If the answer is "yes" they deny you.

Is it prejudiced? Sure. Is it necessary? Perhaps. It's also why people from most African countries can't donate here since there is almost an epidemic of HIV/AIDS on the African continent plus myriad other diseases that they're too lazy to country-check for. I'm wondering when they're going to give the same treatment to African-American men, since they have the second highest prevalence of HIV/AIDS in the US, after gay men.

LaRoza
June 25th, 2008, 06:21 AM
It's federal law in the United States. The actual question they ask when you go to donate is "have you had sex with another man, even once, since 1977?" If the answer is "yes" they deny you.

Is it prejudiced? Sure. Is it necessary? Perhaps. It's also why people from most African countries can't donate here since there is almost an epidemic of HIV/AIDS on the African continent plus myriad other diseases that they're too lazy to country-check for. I'm wondering when they're going to give the same treatment to African-American men, since they have the second highest prevalence of HIV/AIDS in the US, after gay men.

Here are the requirements: http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_557_,00.html

(For USA Red Cross)

Fedz
June 25th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I used to on a regular basis for many, many years, never missed a session, then one session I got a panic attack at the session and it had to be stopped and I never went back.

I always carry a donor card though, I can't get a panic attack when I'm gone ;-)

Moustacha
June 25th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Oh, the red cross have got me donating plasma now, since AB- plasma can go to anyone. You're able to do it in between blood donations. I'm gonna try and break someone's record for donations. I've got a good few decades ahead of me.

beartard
June 25th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Here are the requirements: http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_557_,00.html

(For USA Red Cross)
Yes. That's what I said ;) Thanks for posting them, though. I used to give platelets every two weeks at the red cross. I had the form memorized.

LaRoza
June 25th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Yes. That's what I said ;) Thanks for posting them, though. I used to give platelets every two weeks at the red cross. I had the form memorized.

I know, I was just giving a reference.

Kingsley
June 25th, 2008, 06:54 AM
I'd be willing to give blood if my school didn't have blood drives on Wednesdays. The needle doesn't scare me, but the possible fatigue before an important test or class does.

rjmdomingo2003
June 25th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Just donated my O neg blood last Thursday.

regomodo
June 25th, 2008, 10:26 AM
`

LaRoza
June 25th, 2008, 10:27 AM
i'd like to but thought makes me go all weird. Is it bad to not know your blood type at 22?

That is very bad...

How can you live not knowing if you have blood?

I suggest you look at your birth certificate.

bonzodog
June 25th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Another UK citizen here banned from giving blood because of the CJD crisis in the UK a few years ago. Ireland bans anyone born in the UK, or who has been resident in the UK in the last 5 years.

Masoris
June 25th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Someone said to me that blood donation is never good for our body. So even doctors and nurses avoid to donate their blood. Is it true?

beartard
June 25th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Someone said to me that blood donation is never good for our body. So even doctors and nurses avoid to donate their blood. Is it true?
No, it's not true, unless you have a condition that makes it so. But in that case, you probably wouldn't be allowed to donate anyway. Most anti-donation propaganda is published by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (Jehovah's Witnesses) who claim blood donation to be against their scriptures. Chances are, if you see something against blood donation, for whatever reason, they're the source.

%hMa@?b<C
June 25th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I am terrified of needles, spiders, and heights. Only way I would donate blood is if it was to avoid the other two :lolflag:

Zeotronic
June 25th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I SHOULD be donating blood, my type is O-Positive, but the huge needle just scares the crap out of me. I was planning to do it one year, because they were going to do it at my school... they had a lecture on it, and told us how the needle wasn't really that big... then they actually pulled a real one out... that thing was twice as big as I thought it would be! I hope someday I get over this.

Rutabega
June 25th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I donate blood.

LaRoza
June 25th, 2008, 06:19 PM
No, it's not true, unless you have a condition that makes it so. But in that case, you probably wouldn't be allowed to donate anyway. Most anti-donation propaganda is published by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (Jehovah's Witnesses) who claim blood donation to be against their scriptures. Chances are, if you see something against blood donation, for whatever reason, they're the source.

Buddhists are also against donating blood (I don't know if that is for all of them, but I do know it caused a lot of problems during conflicts in East Asia)

As for the dangers, I know someone who got Hepatitis C from receiving blood (not giving!), but that was before they tested for it (only a couple of months)

jgrabham
June 25th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I can't until I'm 17 (1 year and 4 days away) because you can't here until then , I do carry a donor card though, so if I get hit by a bus, feel free to go to town on my organs. :D

MissingLink
June 25th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Chron's disease. Been taking too many corticosteroids, but now I'm immune to them. So now I'm getting some Monoclonal Anti-bodies every two months. That means a No-No to blood donation, but I'd like to become a donor :(

IamReck
June 25th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I can't donate because I lived in England for a certain time between certain years... Something about mad cow disease.

MissingLink
June 25th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I can't donate because I lived in England for a certain time between certain years... Something about mad cow disease.

Are you serious?

regomodo
June 25th, 2008, 11:01 PM
`

lisati
June 25th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I have twice in the past (mid 1980s) but would probably want to be careful these days for medical reasons.

sub2007
June 25th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I donate every 4 months.

It's not just other countries who refuse to take blood from UK donors due to risk of nvCJD, we have it in the UK to an extent to. Anyone in the UK who has ever received a blood donation (since 1980) is automatically disqualified from donating blood due to risk of transmitting nvCJD.

I don't think that many doctors would say it's dangerous to donate blood. Your haemoglobin is checked before you donate and for donation you have to have a high level of haemoglobin, so the amount of blood that is taken off is highly unlikely to make you anaemic. It could be dangerous making too many donations though, the NBS advise donating every 16 weeks and say that you must always wait 12 weeks between donations.

LaRoza
June 25th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Oh, i've got blood. I cut myself badly when i was a kid with my father's knife and made a right mess of the floor. The most petrified i've ever been possibly. It wouldn't start properly healing for days and now have a nice scar.

Birth certificate? Eeep, it's somewhere,possibly. Stop scaring me.

That just proves you had blood ;)

regomodo
June 25th, 2008, 11:58 PM
`

Dr Small
June 26th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I have never donated blood, and never will. I have always hated needles, also.

MissingLink
June 26th, 2008, 02:02 AM
I have never donated blood, and never will. I have always hated needles, also.

I learned how to tolerate them. On a related subject, I noticed most guys are afraid of needles, whereas girls are not. When I say "guys" and "girls" I mean people ranging from their early teens to their thirties. Has anyone else noticed this, or it's just me?

LaRoza
June 26th, 2008, 02:04 AM
I learned how to tolerate them. On a related subject, I noticed most guys are afraid of needles, whereas girls are not. When I say "guys" and "girls" I mean people ranging from their early teens to their thirties. Has anyone else noticed this, or it's just me?

Its just you. The people I know who are afraid of needles are female, and the ones that aren't bothered are male (as a whole).

Dr Small
June 26th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Well, I had some terrible expiriences with needles as a young child getting shots (something my kids will never get!) and it hurt like heck. From that day on, I have always hated and feared needles.

MissingLink
June 26th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Its just you. The people I know who are afraid of needles are female, and the ones that aren't bothered are male (as a whole).

I've been noticing the opposite... Most donors I know are female, with an estimated figure of about 90%. Most males I know won't donate because they're just afraid of needles. Well, probably nothing special, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

lisati
June 26th, 2008, 02:14 AM
It borhters me sometimes too, and the last time I checked I was male. I sometimes have to face them for blood tests - the last one I had the poor guy doing it had a hard job finding a usable vein, and when I got out of hospital last year after a heart attack, my arms were bruised for about a week. Never used to be a problem.....

MissingLink
June 26th, 2008, 02:26 AM
It borhters me sometimes too, and the last time I checked I was male. I sometimes have to face them for blood tests - the last one I had the poor guy doing it had a hard job finding a usable vein, and when I got out of hospital last year after a heart attack, my arms were bruised for about a week. Never used to be a problem.....

I have to face them on a two month basis for blood tests and endovenous treatment. I used to be terrified of needles as a todler. Now, my arms are full of "scars" from needles. Until now, I didn't know needles could leave such a noticeable mark. I've had people looking suspiciously at my arms. Wonder what they were looking for...

Dngrsone
June 30th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Just donated again yesterday. I don't think there are many people that are 'fans' of the needle, but I've seen my fair share of them over the years (I was never a drug user, just... clumsy as a kid: I lost count after 186 stitches) and so I might just look away when they stab me and carry on. http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee303/Dngrs_1/nod.gif

steelbreeze
October 2nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
I would love to be able to donate blood again. I was able to donate twice when I was younger, but my blood is no longer acceptable for others. I am happy to say that I work for a company that believes in community involvement and helps to make up for the people like me. http://www.askprimerica.com/sometimes-%e2%80%9cgiving-back%e2%80%9d-means-giving-blood/
I hope for everyone who needs blood there is enough available to save them!

sudoer541
October 2nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Needles scare me to DEATH!!!!

khelben1979
October 2nd, 2009, 07:18 PM
No.

JillSwift
October 2nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
Was donated blood involved in the necromancy of this thread?

Also, so far as the poll question goes, does the blood have to originally be mine to count?

hoppipolla
October 2nd, 2009, 07:39 PM
Scares me too much ._. heh

hoppipolla
October 2nd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Needles scare me to DEATH!!!!

seconded!!

cheseboi007
October 2nd, 2009, 07:41 PM
NEEDLES ARE SCARRRYYYY ARUGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH Spam!

wojox
October 2nd, 2009, 07:44 PM
Only when I play Hockey.

lisati
October 2nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Was donated blood involved in the necromancy of this thread?

Hush! If she sees this thread my GP might get ideas. The last set of blood tests I had back in November resulted in me being prescribed more pills for the type II diabetes kind of challenges.

Forgot to mention in my last post in this thread that the last time I donated blood was over 20 years ago. I'm not sure if it would be accepted these days, for the health reasons previously mentioned.

Lightstar
October 2nd, 2009, 07:48 PM
Never, I'm not allowed.

Not because of religion, but because I have tattoos.
I'm in Quebec, Canada.
That law might be different in other countries, or maybe even different in other provinces.

dragos240
October 2nd, 2009, 08:18 PM
I would, but apparently 14 is too young.

Exodist
October 2nd, 2009, 08:26 PM

TY for giving, you may just save a life.

For that post or two I seen about a few posters saying those who give blood are not "heroes", its all the in eye of the beholder. You may see yourself as more of a hero for something you did. But when your down and out and need a transfusion, you'll appreciate those donors then.

yabbadabbadont
October 2nd, 2009, 09:36 PM
Right after I got my three gallon pin, the Red Cross was fined over 4 million dollars for improper screening and handling of the blood supply... I haven't donated to them since. I really should start donating to my local Community Blood Center though.

Mornedhel
October 2nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
Can't. I regularly visit a country with high malaria rates, even though I stay out of the dangerous zones.

JDShu
October 2nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
I would, but apparently 14 is too young.

14 is far too young!

Travelling to other countries in the past year or something prohibits me from donating blood.

earthpigg
October 2nd, 2009, 11:04 PM
i lived in Africa not to long ago, so my blood isn't "good enough" for American blood banks.

I used to donate all the time, though.

A Positive.

wipeout140
October 2nd, 2009, 11:13 PM
Since i turned 18 (3 years ago) i donate 3 times a year normally so next time it will be my 10th. I feel am doing my small bit

LookTJ
October 2nd, 2009, 11:37 PM
Yes, I did earlier this year.

The Real Dave
October 3rd, 2009, 12:49 AM
Under 18, so can't give blood, and due to a myriad of different medical conditions, not quite sure if I will be able to, though, I don't believe that my blood would be effected by anything I have. I am however an organ donor, have been since I was little, everyone in my family is. When I'm dead, I'm dead, whats left is just worm food. If pieces of me can help someone else live, how could I deny them that? How ridiculously selfish.

And also, in regard to those saying "Giving blood doesn't make you a hero", I know several people whos lives have been saved by blood transfusions. Your blood is a very personal thing, to give it away is quite meaningful. Donors in my eyes, are very much heroes.

kevdog
October 3rd, 2009, 12:57 AM
I applaud all the blood donors in this thread -- you are doing a great service. Too bad most of the agencies which you donate your blood to turn around and sell that blood for a major profit. That really makes me angry.

Also there seems to be a lot of misinformation in this thread, particularly on the first page. I didn't read every page in this thread since a lot of the explanations about blood expanders and such made me laugh.

chriskin
October 3rd, 2009, 12:58 AM
i'm not allowed because of a blood related problem of mine

Moustacha
October 3rd, 2009, 06:02 AM
Well an update from me since someone necro'd the thread. I've donated various blood products about 17 times now. I've got a nice collection of needle marks on my veins now.
I do it as often as I can now. 2 plasma donations between blood donations.

Sean Moran
October 3rd, 2009, 06:34 AM
O+

Waiting until my return to civilisation before I make an habit of it but in emergencies will do so providing there is public scutiny on the stranger with the needle.

alindgr1
January 11th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I would love to. But, I cannot, for several reasons. The big one being that I got human growth hormone when I was young, it caused some people to get sick, and from what I last heard, nobody who got it can give blood. The other reason being that I recently got back from Iraq, and now I cannot for like two years after that.

A couple of years ago, my wife had a bleeding ulcer and got 20 units of blood. If it were not for people who give blood, she would not be here. So, a HUGE thanks to all of you who do give blood.

NoaHall
January 11th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I have asthma, so I can't. I would if I could though.

slakkie
January 11th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I don't donate blood:

1) I'm scared shitless of needles
2) I'm an organ donor, if I die, they can rip me apart and share my body, till then. Mine..

fromthehill
January 11th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I'm not allowed to because I am considered a "high risk" group.
In the Netherlands, if you are a homosexual *snip* you are not allowed to give blood.

this ^

slakkie
January 11th, 2010, 06:38 PM
this ^

Is that still the case? Stomme wet dan.
Straight people don't have STD's.. meh.

Simian Man
January 11th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I would like to, and am perfectly fine with needles. Both times I tried though, I was violently ill immediately afterwards and didn't recover for days. I guess I need all my blood :(.

fromthehill
January 11th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Is that still the case? Stomme wet dan.
Straight people don't have STD's.. meh.
don't know about STD's. but I definitely don't have HIV or AIDS
nobody knows I'm 'like that' exept my parents so I could easily donate blood if I wanted to.

they don't want it so I'm not giving any

whiskeylover
January 11th, 2010, 07:16 PM
The very thought about needles scares the poop out of me.

Dark_Stang
January 11th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I tried once, I almost passed out, they asked me not to try for a few years again. However I am an organ doner.

KiwiNZ
January 11th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Off topic,political and generally rude posts removed. Play nice folks.

andras artois
January 11th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I donate blood. See no reason not to. There's no harm in helping someone especially when there are NO repercussions AT ALL for you AND you get free tea and biscuits :)

Plenty of people still die or suffer a lot more than they need to because they don't have the required blood to perform surgery or transfusions.

I'm an organ donor as well. Seems a bit selfish to keep your organs when they'll just be rotting in the ground when someone else is dying or suffering because you were too selfish to donate them.