PDA

View Full Version : cd rippers recomendation

bufsabre666
June 3rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
okay so i just finished converting all my mp downloaded music to .ogg but im ganna skip this and just rerip my cd's, ive done 3 so far, 1 with audio cd extracter, one with ripper x and one with rip off, the last time i ripped them most of it was under windows, i used ripperx under linux for the rest, but i noticed something, in comparison to windows media player which i used to rip them last time all the ones ive tried so far have been significantly slower, is this just a habit of them and should i just tough it out or is there a faster one out there that i should try

im looking for a 256kps ogg files as the output so it should be able to rip to that

as for why im converting my music it is cause i really only used mp3 before for mp3 player, i can hear the differnce between mp3 and ogg and liked ogg better, but now ive benn just using my phones mp3 player since last august and i found out a few days ago that it can play .ogg ((well played verizon, 2 thumbs up)) so now im not ganna bother with mp3's now

but i digress, recomend away of great community

jongkind
June 5th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I suggest to use grip. It's in the repositories. Main advantage of grip is that it has a paranoia mode and it detects and "repairs" scratches. Both properties are extremely useful, since not all CD's are of good quality.

ghindo
June 5th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I would recommend Rubyripper. Without a doubt. It's pretty straight-forward to use, can rip in ogg, and is a secure CD ripper (meaning it goes over each track twice to ensure an accurate rip).

Basically, this is one big plug for the tutorial which is linked in my sig ;)

It may not be the fastest ripper around, but it sure as hell gets the job done right.

banjobacon
June 5th, 2008, 10:09 PM
okay so i just finished converting all my mp downloaded music to .ogg

You converted MP3 files to OGG Vorbis files?

AmishFury
June 6th, 2008, 03:18 AM
in comparison to windows media player which i used to rip them last time all the ones ive tried so far have been significantly slower

ripping speed is affected greatly by what mode was used to read the disc if you use any level of error correction (highly recommended because even brand new discs can have inaccuracies in the rip without) you'll see a decrease in speed because error correction reads each block of data more than once

EAC is the best ripper i've ever used but it is windows only (not sure if it would work in wine)
as far as linux rippers... i've tried a handful and found grip to be the closest to a linux equivalent to EAC

trust me it's better to be patient and let your rips take as long as they need to get an accurate rip

i had a badly scratched CD (i am more cautious with buying used cds than i used to be) that took nearly 2 hours to rip with EAC secure mode but the results passed accuraterip check

ChameleonDave
June 6th, 2008, 03:25 AM
okay so i just finished converting all my mp downloaded music to .ogg

Why? If it's out of free-software fanaticism, then fine. But if it's to increase quality, you've made a mistake! Once audio is in MP3 format, converting to another lossy format can only degrade quality slightly, and never increase it.

I personally rip my CDs to FLAC, and I have left my downloaded MP3s as they are.

RiceMonster
June 6th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Why? If it's out of free-software fanaticism, then fine. But if it's to increase quality, you've made a mistake! Once audio is in MP3 format, converting to another lossy format can only degrade quality slightly, and never increase it.

I personally rip my CDs to FLAC, and I have left my downloaded MP3s as they are.

Yep, FLAC is the only way to go for ripping CDs.

bufsabre666
June 6th, 2008, 05:43 AM

no i converted to .ogg cause i found out my phone can play it without having to change it down to a minuscule bit rate, i can keep it at 256 or 192 and it will stay there unlike mp3 which gets reduced down to 64, which even on a crappy phone mp3 player is bad

and on linux the mp3 codec seems to be very bad as it is cause the conversion made it all sound better

fat chance im ripping into flac though, i have tons of harddrive space but im not wasting it on a 8mb 3 minute song

banjobacon
June 6th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I would recommend Rubyripper. Without a doubt. It's pretty straight-forward to use, can rip in ogg, and is a secure CD ripper (meaning it goes over each track twice to ensure an accurate rip).

Basically, this is one big plug for the tutorial which is linked in my sig ;)

Can someone post the link to the tutorial for those of us with signatures disabled?

FuturePilot
June 6th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I suggest to use grip. It's in the repositories. Main advantage of grip is that it has a paranoia mode and it detects and "repairs" scratches. Both properties are extremely useful, since not all CD's are of good quality.

+1 for Grip

ChameleonDave
June 7th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Can someone post the link to the tutorial for those of us with signatures disabled?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=799621

regomodo
June 7th, 2008, 01:14 AM
+1 for Grip

soundkonverter. I used to use grip for a while but i found the options hidden in the ui.

Spike-X
June 7th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Another vote for Grip here. It can be tricky to set up at first, but once it's done it's easy.