PDA

View Full Version : Configuration Software

AndrewKeith80
June 3rd, 2008, 09:38 AM
Hi everyone.

I am a senior software developer and casual ubuntu user. I have 2 windows computers, 2 linux computers (1 with ubuntu) and 1 unix computer (freebsd).

I recently convinced my wife to use ubuntu on her aging hardware. I then noticed how frustrating it was for her because every single problem encountered had a myriad of cryptic commands and file edits that needed to be performed.

In my line of work (Broadcast software development), delivering a product to a customer which required the customer to edit a file or type a cryptic command is certainly construed as severly deficient product. It goes without saying that non-nerds dont understand what a block-size is, or what dmesg does.

I am amazed that even today, new users are still expected to edit fstab files, modules.conf, etc etc.

The question I would like to ask is if there is any configuration software which will literally hide all the ugly plumbing away from the casual users? I think such a software would literally bring ubuntu to the forefront.

A good example is Windows XP and MacOS. Casual users of those platforms dont muck around with the guts of the system to use it.

Paqman
June 3rd, 2008, 10:49 AM
I am amazed that even today, new users are still expected to edit fstab files

So am I. I'm amazed this hasn't been designed out of the default setup yet.