PDA

View Full Version : Online banking with Linux is FAR MUCH SAFER than Windows

D.Sync
June 3rd, 2008, 09:03 AM
As the title stated, any comments on this one?

Did cases like 'identity theft, password stolen cases, etc' ever occur towards Linux users? I heard such cases are common towards Windows users.

akiratheoni
June 3rd, 2008, 09:05 AM
Well, adware and spyware and viruses obviously can't affect you and steal your password, but social engineering can steal your password no matter what operating system you use.

BTW, I think this might be better suited for Community Cafe.

D.Sync
June 3rd, 2008, 09:08 AM
So you're saying that adware/spyware only primary target Window users?

hyper_ch
June 3rd, 2008, 09:09 AM
social engineering also works on linux...

if you get an email from your bank or paypal .... asking you to login and you do it... linux won't prevent you from that...

Linux also does not prevent from dns poisoning either.... make online banking through https only and also check the certificate validity, who issued it, ....

Furthermore there also the man-in-the-middle option... and unsecure wifi or stuff...

There are many things... however if you go to the bank and get the money in cash and then go to some other place you might get robbed in-between...

Nothing is truly safe and neither is online banking. However with a few precautions you can make yourself fairly safe.

Paqman
June 3rd, 2008, 09:17 AM
I agree, you're protected from some threats, but not others. You're highly unlikely to have your passwords compromised by a keylogger, but you're just as vulnerable to phishing.

diskotek
June 3rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
actually this is why i installed ubuntu to my friend's laptop. he is really happy with his dapper drake box :)

quinnten83
June 3rd, 2008, 10:09 AM
actually this is why i installed ubuntu to my friend's laptop. he is really happy with his dapper drake box :)

Wow,
you hate your friend?

Joeb454
June 3rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Wow,
you hate your friend?

Why would you ask that? Other than the age of dapper (which is still supported for another year)

Sealbhach
June 3rd, 2008, 11:36 AM
I agree, you're protected from some threats, but not others. You're highly unlikely to have your passwords compromised by a keylogger, but you're just as vulnerable to phishing.

It's good to know we're safer from keyloggers.

But falling prey to phishing is about human gullibility rather than online security, isn't it? I mean, deciding to reply to an email supposedly from your bank....

Paqman
June 3rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
But falling prey to phishing is about human gullibility rather than online security, isn't it? I mean, decidingn to reply to an email supposedly from your bank....

Yep, that's my point. The weakest part in the security system is the Chair-to-Keyboard Interface Unit.