PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Disable Volume control OSD of Gnome-settings-daemon

SoAnIs
June 3rd, 2008, 07:26 AM
How would one go about disabling the volume control OSD in gnome-settings-daemon. It steals focus and crashes some programs I use in WINE. Preventing it from stealing focus would be ok too.

ScarySquirrel
December 1st, 2008, 08:29 AM
I have had some problems with this myself.
Currently, the Volume Control Widget Popup keeps respawning and increasing or decreasing the volume repeatedly when I press either of the volume change buttons on my laptop.
If I cannot fix this problem, how do I disable this popup widget?

hapsis
December 25th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Same problem with my HP Laptop ZV6150 - have you got the solution for this volume button problem? It worked on earlier versions of Ubuntu but not on 8.10...

MaestroTech
January 24th, 2009, 10:56 AM
my goodness we need to bump this up and get a solution. this seems so simple.

zachalekos
February 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM
bump

zachalekos
February 28th, 2009, 11:45 PM
i've disabled media-keys in gnome-settings-daemon but now I need to use the mouse to control the volume. It's not a perfect solution.

derekbuc
March 23rd, 2009, 12:05 AM
Any solution on this yet lads?

zachalekos
March 23rd, 2009, 12:45 PM
No solution yet. It seems the powers that be don't consider it a bug.

JohnFH
March 23rd, 2009, 01:06 PM
I had a similar issue in KDE. I removed the default media key functionality and created a global keyboard input to make a dcop call to change the volume instead. Now the volume changes in smaller steps and with no OSD. Not sure how, or if it's possible, to do the same thing in Gnome. Sorry.

By the way, there are big changes in this area in Jaunty, so you may just want to wait (not long now) until the next release before spending too much time on this.

ldrn
May 15th, 2009, 01:11 AM
I was having horrible performance issues with it and Compiz... like JohnFH, I just removed the default functions. In my case I used aumix to control it with scripts like:
aumix -v +1
aumix -v -1
aumix -v 0

For up, down, and mute. (Unmute requires a bit more of a complicated script.) I even added OSD notification back via xosd, but that's probably not what you all are after if it crashes.

therendus
October 16th, 2009, 02:48 PM
How would one go about disabling the volume control OSD in gnome-settings-daemon. It steals focus and crashes some programs I use in WINE. Preventing it from stealing focus would be ok too.

To disable the osd all the way:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1164960&highlight=Disable+volume+OSD#td_post_7315643

gchatzim
March 22nd, 2010, 10:34 PM
To disable the osd all the way:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1164960&highlight=Disable+volume+OSD#td_post_7315643

this does not work for me.
i was bothered by the volume osd because it through me out of fullscreen whether on youtube or vlc.
i fixed it by setting the focus_prevention_level to 2.
to set this run gconf-editor go to /apps/compiz/general/screen0/options.
of course this has the unfortunate side-effect that some other windows that i would like to have auto-focus (like the 'run application') no don't.