PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] [SOLVED] Need an easy way to add Run Command to Gnome Main Window

mel_phil@flashmail.com
June 3rd, 2008, 05:26 AM
Hi

I run Ubuntu 8.04 & wish to add a run command to my Main Menu. I understand Alt-F2 works (have been using this already). I can add a run command with icon to a Panel but I want it in my Main Menu. I could not even drag it to the desktop & look at the launcher properties. I do not know the command to do this.

Have got grun to work but I don't like the look of it. Much prefer the look of the one that comes up when I hit ALT F2

I read one thread in these forums with someone asking the same question and basically all replies were about "Why" they wanted to do it, cluttering the menu etc etc & did not answer the question. I just need to know how to do it.

Many thanks in advance for any help provided :):):):)

Bakon Jarser
June 3rd, 2008, 05:40 AM
I'm not exactly sure how to do what you're talking about but try "GNOME do" and see if that does what you want. I don't know how to install it. It was there by default in Ubuntu Ultimate. Maybe it's there by default (under accessories) in regular Ubuntu but I don't remember it.

Rhubarb
June 3rd, 2008, 05:59 AM
After doing a search, the best I've found is this:
http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/Gnome-Run-Dialog
It's a python implementation of it that you should easily be able to put anywhere in your Applications menu.

mel_phil@flashmail.com
June 3rd, 2008, 07:52 AM
Hi Guy's

Thanks for the replies. I download and extracted the files but am confronted with a makefile which I have no idea how to install.

I would have just thought that Alt F2 launches the run window which must be an application of sorts and would have a file name which I could run in a launcher. but anyway any help with the makefile would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

PS :):):):)

Bakon Jarser
June 4th, 2008, 12:21 AM
http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/#source

mel_phil@flashmail.com
June 4th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Got it to run

Many thanks for all your help

Much appreciated

Cheers

PS