PDA

View Full Version : Solitaire!

melrom
June 2nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
So I was playing Solitaire at work today [so productive], and I became obsessed with the idea of whether or not one decision to move a particular stack of cards was the one thing that ended up ruining some of my games. I decided to do a little research as to whether or not every game of Solitaire is winnable. Thought I'd share, if you're in the mood.

http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/mdippery/post.asp?id=37

ibuclaw
June 4th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Hmmm... Interesting.

Could make a really cool party trick. *Watches friends suffer in agony :)

Haha!

fromgi
August 14th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Unfortunately the version supplied with Linux doesn't adhere to this theory. Klondike Solitaire stacks the cards which takes the fun out.

KingTermite
August 14th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Hmmm... Interesting.

Could make a really cool party trick. *Watches friends suffer in agony :)

Haha!

I did a fun similar trick back in the Windows 3.1 days. But it was with minesweeper.

I "knew" a security guard that worked the night shift would often jump on our computer and play minesweeper after hours and on weekends.

I discovered pretty quickly that high scores were just kept in an .ini file. So I tweaked the ini file to have his name in the high scores and then set it to read only. Then I showed him and told him the manager was trying to figure out who <insert his name here> was because they were getting fired for playing games!

He was terrified....if I finally told him that I had actually played but put his name in the high score. I told him I was really sorry that he was getting in trouble for me. He started saying, "if I go down, you're going down with me, damnit!".

LOL....I let him sweat for a few days before I told him the manager cooled down and didn't care anymore. That was fun schtuff.