PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help - Permanently map Windows Shares during boot up.

eha1990
June 2nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Question #1: How do you permanently mount/map to a Windows Share folder that is on another computer?

Question #2: How do you change the permissions on a mounted Windows Share so that you can have full rights on the share network folder?

I am attempting to figure out to permanently automatically mount/map to a Windows Share on another computer when I log into Ubuntu. For example, I can manually mount the following share using:

smb://192.168.1.102/ShareFiles

But I'd like to know how to mount the Windows Share permanently at boot up. How do you change the access permissions on a mounted Windows Share so that you will have read/write rights on the share folder? I have not been able to figure this out. I have attempted to edit the /etc/fstab, but I haven't been able to figure this out either. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

mbaker824
June 3rd, 2008, 06:22 AM
Check out this thread for a tutorial:

http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=288534

I usually have good luck googling any Linux subject I'm looking for - I found this thread by searching for "Ubuntu permanent SMB mount".

Mark

eha1990
June 3rd, 2008, 12:19 PM
Mark - Thank you for the feedback. I'll check out the post and let you know what happens. Hopefully, it will do the trick for me and resolve this annoying problem.

eha1990

sbrandon
June 3rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Good series of instructions, but will there be a "one click" way of doing this at some time in the future? That and logging on to a Windows network easily will do alot to move Linux forward to office acceptance (obvious statement, but it is probably my main sticking point)

Iowan
June 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
Find a post by dmizer - in his signature is a link for mounting cifs shares - probably more up-to-date than the link in my signature for mounting smbfs shares.