PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kde 4.1

f37u5g0d
June 2nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
I just saw a screen-cast of KDE 4.1 and it is looking really good. I have two questions. 1st I tried Kbuntu once before (KDE 4.0) but I only have 1/2 gb of ram and it ran too slowly to be functional. Do I need to get more memory to run the new version as well? I have an explicit graphics card with 64 mb of vram as well. 2nd question, The new KDE was simplified widgets and you can adjust them entirely through the GUI similar to the way gnome lets you alter panels. Are widgets this simple in gnome? Thank you!

benerivo
June 2nd, 2008, 09:10 PM
I think i've seen the same screencast (http://www.ereslibre.es/?p=104). It does look very good, and if the main kde programs can work together this easily (there's a lot of dragging and dropping going on in the vid), then great. I would hope that 4.1 actually uses less memory than 4.0, because like you, 4.0 runs slowly on my pc, and uses more memory than gnome or kde3. I think it will be lighter, as one of the points i saw mentioned when kde4 was first introduced was that it was going to be lighter than gnome and comparable to xfce (xubuntu).

The gnome widgets are pretty basic compared to what you can get using plasma in kde4. I haven't seen much more than a clock and a text display of system info.

4Orbs
June 2nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
About the memory usage. I installed Mandriva Spring 2008.1 and used it for a couple of days on my 7 year old box. This is the latest KDE version of Mandriva and it worked very well. When checking the memory usage Mandriva gives you a comment stating that your system is well configured if you have only a small amount of physical memory left and large amount of swap available. I would guess that this applies to KDE on Ubuntu also. My interpretation is that KDE keeps lots of stuff alive in memory for quick access and response and uses swap more intensly than gnome.

jlacroix
June 3rd, 2008, 06:07 AM
KDE 4.1 is AMAZING. I'm using the KDE4Daily image and its already running great, even on a virtual image it's fast for me.

raul_
June 4th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I just want that guy's wallpaper

F4l3
June 4th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Well, the drag and drop feature are not implemented by the program's devs, but by the kdelibs. KDE4.1 seems to be a very awesome thing and I hope will wake up the whole linux and free software world

Zorael
June 4th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I just want that guy's wallpaper

http://art.gnome.org/backgrounds/abstract/2620

raul_
June 4th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Many thanks!! :)