PDA

View Full Version : MySQL and html/xml to creat youtube-like database

beckols
June 2nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
I have some desktop recordings/tutorials, that I need to share with the rest of my office. I want to make them searchable by tags like on youtube, preferably using MySQL and a web interface. How would I go about doing this. Also any links to good tutorials would be handy. Thanks!

themusicwave
June 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
I am fairly certain youtube uses Flash.

I'm not sure how to actually implement what you need, but you could probably use flash, Java applets or something similar.

There may be an easier way, I think the xml object tag could work, but I haven't tried it.

beckols
June 2nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
Well my flash abilities are very limited and outdated... I can work with MySQL, html, xml, possibly a little PHP... if these won't cut it, I'm willing to learn other things though.

pmasiar
June 2nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
With little programming, you can set up a wiki, enter tags in pages (with some comments), and put your documents as attachments. There are plenty of free wiki systems to install, or you can get it hosted, often for free too.

With substantially more programming, you can get content management system (there are dozens) and customize it a little.

With even more programming, you can program whole application using Python (with Django or TurboGears) or Ruby (on Rails), or PHP (not recommended) doing exactly what you want. BTW YouTube background engine is in Python. Flash is only for the bells and whistles in the user interface.

kragen
June 2nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
If I were you I'd steer clear of building your own php / mysql solution and use some pre-packaged program.

It depends on how much customisation you would want, but something like word-press would be straightforward to set up and would allow embedding of videos in posts as well as tagging.

There are also some other options such as Gallery2:
http://gallery.menalto.com/

Word-press is probably the one I'd go for though.

Content management systems are probably going to be more work than they are worth.

beckols
June 2nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Thank you both. I'll take these options into consideration.