PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Desktop menus gone missing

belfasttim
June 2nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
Hi-- I upgraded to 8.04 a week or so ago on a Toshiba laptop. The upgrade went smoothly and all seemed well. I booted this morning to discover that all the menus and desktop bars (top and bottom) have disappeared. I have reinstalled compiz (following another post) with no luck.

Any ideas on this? It seems there's a lot of posts with similar issues but not really any answers.

thanks

kshane
June 2nd, 2008, 06:11 PM
Hi-- I upgraded to 8.04 a week or so ago on a Toshiba laptop. The upgrade went smoothly and all seemed well. I booted this morning to discover that all the menus and desktop bars (top and bottom) have disappeared. I have reinstalled compiz (following another post) with no luck.

Any ideas on this? It seems there's a lot of posts with similar issues but not really any answers.

thanks

I THINK you can use "gnome-panel --replace" in terminal to get the panel up again...

Kevin

belfasttim
June 2nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
I THINK you can use "gnome-panel --replace" in terminal to get the panel up again...

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I tried this command and got a "command not found" error.

Is it possible that gnome-panel got blown away or something?

kshane
June 2nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks Kevin. I tried this command and got a "command not found" error.

Is it possible that gnome-panel got blown away or something?

I suppose so. Try "apt-get install gnome-panel"

Kevin

belfasttim
June 2nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Kevin, you helped me put my finger on it. Turns out I tried to get rid of evolution in favor of Thunderbird (it's my dad's machine and he doesn't use it for anything but email and web) and it tossed out gnome-panel as well.

Thanks for the help!

Het Irv
June 2nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
Yeah, Evolution is tied to so much stuff in Gnome that if you remove Evolution, Gnome will crash. I wish that that would change, but untill then I am just going to hide it.

kshane
June 2nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Kevin, you helped me put my finger on it. Turns out I tried to get rid of evolution in favor of Thunderbird (it's my dad's machine and he doesn't use it for anything but email and web) and it tossed out gnome-panel as well.

Thanks for the help!

No prob! Glad you got it figured out. I can relate! I have never (beyond when I initially installed Ubuntu) tried to use evolution as Thunderbird works very well and covers all my email needs. Also, since I like and use firefox, it just makes sense to me to use it...

Good luck!

Kevin