PDA

View Full Version : Underclocking

markp1989
June 2nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
I have a computer that has geexbox on it, i use it to play AVI and occasionally DVDs.

currently the CPU is running at 866 mhz, the geexbox site says i need a 400mhz cpu, im thinking i could under clock the CPU to use less power, but i have no experience.

the processor in it is a pentium 3 running at 866mhz and the motherboard is a ms-6351 Ver 1

any one had any experience with under clocking this motherboard?

Thanks for any tips.

blithen
June 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
I've never even heard of underclocking.
Though I'm sure a quick google search could help you.

manicman
June 2nd, 2008, 06:27 PM
I have my server underclocked as it gets HOT and doesn't require a fast processor

Its basically the reverse of overclocking gradually lower the speed of your processor and then test how much you can reduce your CPU voltage and still keep a stable system (WARNING if you reduce your CPU voltage to much your system will fail to boot)

You will need to use some stress software to make sure your system is stable i recommend mprime and memtest86+

There is lots of information on the internet about over/underclocking make sure you do lots of reading up before hand

Regards
Manicman

Biochem
June 2nd, 2008, 06:36 PM
I know that some BIOS has options that control the reduce the cpu clock (ussually by 50%) when not in use. I think that is what you're looking for.

Did you look for any Power Management or performance options in your? On a recent AMD Mobo it's called "AMD cool and quiet". My old, and now gone, Intel P3 800 MHz had such an option I just can't remember how it was called.

Good Luck

hyperair
June 2nd, 2008, 06:51 PM
You should consider using the CPU Frequency Scaling. I think that counts as underclocking. I have mine set to automatically scale down when CPU power isn't needed. On Intel systems it's called SpeedStep.