PDA

View Full Version : which distro on PS3?

DesiDishoom
June 2nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
My roommate and i recently bought a ps3, and me being the tinker enthusiast that i am, really want to load linux onto it.

So, i realize this is an Ubuntu forum, but I would REALLY appreciate an updated pros/cons list for Ubuntu, Fedora, and YDL, from those of you who either know what you're talking about and/or already have experience with one or more of these on the ps3.

Specifically, i wanted to know about what features each one offers, especially wi-fi, ps2/other emulation, multimedia integration, and general compatibility.

All the threads about this that i've found have been at least a year old, and so i'm sure a lot of people would appreciate an update on the state of the dif distros on ps3. you're welcome to link me to another thread if this is already being discussed. Thanks!!

Mazza558
June 2nd, 2008, 04:33 PM
I don't think any will offer PS2 emulation etc, because distros are locked out of PS3's GPU, so it can't render in 3D. Besides, don't PS2 games work with PS3 anyway?

DesiDishoom
June 2nd, 2008, 04:40 PM
i thought it was compatible with ps2 games too, but apparently not with the 40 GB version, which is coincidentally the only one readily available in stores...damn you Sony.

ok so ps2 emulation may not be one of the issues, but how about the other stuff? wifi, multimedia, etc?

tbrminsanity
June 2nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
My roommate and i recently bought a ps3, and me being the tinker enthusiast that i am, really want to load linux onto it.

So, i realize this is an Ubuntu forum, but I would REALLY appreciate an updated pros/cons list for Ubuntu, Fedora, and YDL, from those of you who either know what you're talking about and/or already have experience with one or more of these on the ps3.

Specifically, i wanted to know about what features each one offers, especially wi-fi, ps2/other emulation, multimedia integration, and general compatibility.

All the threads about this that i've found have been at least a year old, and so i'm sure a lot of people would appreciate an update on the state of the dif distros on ps3. you're welcome to link me to another thread if this is already being discussed. Thanks!!

I've tried to load Ubuntu and YDL on the PS3. YDL worked the best but in the end I found it better to set up a share drive on my Linux Media Centre and use the PS3's native OS to grab multimedia from it. The problem with getting and using Linux on the PS3 is the convoluted method of switching between the two OSs and the limitations the PS3 imposes on any other OS. You have to look for PPC based software for the PS3 (which reduces the number of possible programs you can use (especially games)), and in the end you will find it better to deal with the the native OS. What I would like Sony to do is provide a FLOSS version of their development tools (or at least tell us the API for the native OS) so we can start porting Linux apps over to the PS3.

If your still determined to get Linux on the PS3, cudos to you and I wish you the best. If you get it working you may want to put a How To on the PS3-Ubuntu website (sorry I can't remember it of the top of my head). If you can get most of the apps working extra cudos to you and please pass on the knowledge.

Your specific areas of interest:
WiFi (got it working but it was an uphill battle)
PS1/2 emulation (worked ok (same as on my PC) with psx)
Multimedia (used the native apps and they worked good, though movies didn't look great on the low resolution)
General compatibility: better with YDL (since it the intended OS for the PS3)

What if found was more productive was taking the PS3 controller and making it work on my PC and PDA (N800 :) it works over bluetooth). The controller is great for games like Tremulous.

tbrminsanity
June 2nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
i thought it was compatible with ps2 games too, but apparently not with the 40 GB version, which is coincidentally the only one readily available in stores...damn you Sony.

ok so ps2 emulation may not be one of the issues, but how about the other stuff? wifi, multimedia, etc?

For reference I have the 80GB machine. A much better machine and I would take back the 40GB to get the 80GB one. Even if you have to wait for months it is well worth it. Personally I think Sony should have only made the 60GB and the 80GB editions.

DesiDishoom
June 2nd, 2008, 05:16 PM
thanks for the reply! i'm at work right now, so i'll read through your response and reply in more detail later.

DesiDishoom
June 3rd, 2008, 03:10 AM
well it looks like i'm gonna be trying to load YDL onto the ps3 after all. The idea of having another functional (not to mention hi-def capable) computer in the apartment really seems to make the inner geek in me happy. the yellow dog iso, however is HUGE ~3.8 GB, and so while i wait for that, if anyone else has any more input, it is MORE than welcome.

qwertM3
June 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
IMHO although it is hi-def capable box, it has RSX chip locked. Most likely you should be able to get hi-def desktop. I am not sure about movies. It has to be rendered in CPU ( means slow ). Am I right?

DesiDishoom
June 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
IMHO although it is hi-def capable box, it has RSX chip locked. Most likely you should be able to get hi-def desktop. I am not sure about movies. It has to be rendered in CPU ( means slow ). Am I right?

well, as i see it, a hi-def desktop is better than a standard-def desktop haha. even if the movies can't be rendered in HD (which i think you are right about, but i don't have sufficient knowledge to accurately confirm) at least the desktop will look spiffy.

Phenax
June 3rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
I don't think any will offer PS2 emulation etc, because distros are locked out of PS3's GPU, so it can't render in 3D. Besides, don't PS2 games work with PS3 anyway?

It can still render in software-mode which is available as a plugin for most PS1/PS2 emulators.

treggs
September 29th, 2008, 01:14 PM
For reference I have the 80GB machine. A much better machine and I would take back the 40GB to get the 80GB one. Even if you have to wait for months it is well worth it. Personally I think Sony should have only made the 60GB and the 80GB editions.

its not a much better machine its the same machine with a bigger hard drive and backwards compatibility it wont run Linux any better in fact it wont do anything any better