PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Dead Desktop

MotherMayI
June 2nd, 2008, 04:04 PM
I don't know how else to describe my current problem with Xubuntu, besides describing it as a 'dead desktop'.

The entire operating system, and xfce besides this one problem, is working fine. The taskbar, the top bar and all its menus are all functioning correctly.

The problem is that there are no icons on the desktop, and when I right click on the deadspace on the background the right click menu does not come up. The background, on both screens, is also baby blue (my set desktop image does not show up).

What could be causing this?

kshane
June 2nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
I don't know how else to describe my current problem with Xubuntu, besides describing it as a 'dead desktop'.

The entire operating system, and xfce besides this one problem, is working fine. The taskbar, the top bar and all its menus are all functioning correctly.

The problem is that there are no icons on the desktop, and when I right click on the deadspace on the background the right click menu does not come up. The background, on both screens, is also baby blue (my set desktop image does not show up).

What could be causing this?

This is a little over my head, but I think the problem lies with your xfce desktop manager. Perhaps just a re-install will help? I am unfamiliar with Xubuntu...

Kevin

mali2297
June 2nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Have you used the file manager Nautilus?

If so, open a terminal and kill the process with the command

pkill nautilus

Then start Xfce's desktop manager with

xfdesktop &

If you want to use Nautilus within Xfce, start it with

nautilus --no-desktop

(Change the command entry for the launcher.)

MotherMayI
June 2nd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Have you used the file manager Nautilus?

If so, open a terminal and kill the process with the command

pkill nautilus

Then start Xfce's desktop manager with

xfdesktop &

If you want to use Nautlius within Xfce, start it with

nautilus --no-desktop

(Change the command entry for the launcher.)

Thanks a lot, that worked like a charm - Good guess work heh, I forgot to mention that it occurred after running Nautilus.