PDA

View Full Version : What is the latest version of openSUSE?

mac143_01
June 2nd, 2008, 03:48 PM
I want to try openSUSE co it looks cute and cool..

please tell me the its latest version and please put a link on where can i download a torrent iso of it?

i will be using utorrent to download it.. please put the exact link,.. thanks!!!!

Kobalt
June 2nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
You can usually find this kind of info on Distrowatch (http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=04920).

shipinomore
June 2nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
10.3 is the latest final release.
11.0 RC 1 is now out and I have installed it on a Vista host and using vmware 6.0.3 to run it. all seems good. the final is due out around june19th.

I just started using ubuntu and it's somewhat a real challange.

Larry.

Nepherte
June 2nd, 2008, 04:08 PM
http://software.opensuse.org/

T2manner
June 2nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
even though openSUSE looks cool, their community is nothing compared to Ubuntu's.

SunnyRabbiera
June 2nd, 2008, 04:14 PM
even though openSUSE looks cool, their community is nothing compared to Ubuntu's.

yes and Novell sold out to microsoft...

mac143_01
June 2nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
what do you mean by

"yes and Novell sold out to microsoft..."

does it mean that microsoft owns novell?

Nepherte
June 2nd, 2008, 04:40 PM
Novell and Microsoft closed an agreement agreeing not to sue each other for license related issues. Microsoft claims linux distributions violate several licenses of Microsoft and therefore wants to sue them for it.

quickshade
June 2nd, 2008, 08:26 PM
And everyone I see that list that as an excuse is just dumb in my views. Honestly it's helped the community, and they are developing some pretty cool tools to help Linux usage on windows.Plus MS has no say over what novell does, it's just that people are so focused on ubuntu that they need to find flaws in other distros to feel better about Ubuntu. I found the latest version to be a mess with problems, something that I haven't found in SUSE. Hence why I recommended it. But to each it's own I guess.

BTW the community over at suseforums is very nice and helpful. You can't judge a community by how big it is, but by how much it does.....Not to mention the 3 biggest forums are merging very soon.

Antman
June 4th, 2008, 09:21 PM
yes and Novell sold out to microsoft...
The agreement allows Novell/SUSE software to link very well into corporate infrastructures that use MS products. As a result I think Novell has made strides in gaining a foothold into various companies.

Antman
June 4th, 2008, 09:24 PM
BTW the community over at suseforums is very nice and helpful. You can't judge a community by how big it is, but by how much it does.....Not to mention the 3 biggest forums are merging very soon.
+1 I have always found the openSUSE forums very helpful.

Antman
June 4th, 2008, 09:27 PM
oh.... another thing... if you want to see how a linux distro would look if virtually all features were gui controlled, check out openSUSE. If you like the terminal, use it. Want gui, use it. Good to have choices.:KS