PDA

View Full Version : Netbooks and Linux

Raval
June 2nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
You know, I think netbooks are going to be the computers to greatly increase the use of Linux.

Linux lower resource demand fits perfectly with the lower spec (but modern tech) computers.

Almost all of the manufactures of this new category are offering Linux by default without the Linux community crying out for it i.e. they want to load Linux.

What you guys think? Is this going to be our chance to increase our market share?

Joeb454
June 2nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
I think you're right - cheap netbooks/sub-notebooks (whatever you want to call them) will increase the use of Linux (even if only a little bit).

Though it does have the side-effect that some people will think it's only for older machines, and in the case of the eee - some may even think it's just a simple OS.

Raval
June 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
I think you're right - cheap netbooks/sub-notebooks (whatever you want to call them) will increase the use of Linux (even if only a little bit).

Though it does have the side-effect that some people will think it's only for older machines, and in the case of the eee - some may even think it's just a simple OS.

I think I saw a projection from HP that demand for these subnotebooks would be about 25 million units per year.

aysiu
June 2nd, 2008, 05:01 PM
Microsoft will find a way to bust in.

Raval
June 2nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Microsoft will find a way to bust in.

They already in. Question is, how much more of an inroad will they make?

For me the biggest thing is, PC manufacturers want to load linux.

joninkrakow
June 2nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
Well, the eeePC got my wife using Linux, but more so, is trying to to actually learn it! Including the command line! This--my wife--who ever since upgrading to OS X has been afraid of her Mac! I'm not complaining--although she won't let me install Ubuntu on it. ;-)

-Jon

zmjjmz
June 2nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Microsoft has seriously limited themselves in the market, and the Eee's with XP are more expensive and probably slower than their Linux counterparts.
It's really just not worth it, see.

aysiu
June 2nd, 2008, 08:50 PM
and the Eee's with XP are more expensive and probably slower than their Linux counterparts. In Australia, I think the Linux ones are actually more expensive.

Raval
June 2nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Well, the eeePC got my wife using Linux, but more so, is trying to to actually learn it! Including the command line! This--my wife--who ever since upgrading to OS X has been afraid of her Mac! I'm not complaining--although she won't let me install Ubuntu on it. ;-)

-Jon

Whats her reason for not allowing you to install Ubuntu? Has she tried and liked your Ubuntu PC?

I really think net books will introduce a lot more people to Linux and thus gain larger market share. How large? not sure but it the figure of 25million units per year is correct I but at least a million or so.

zmjjmz
June 2nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
In Australia, I think the Linux ones are actually more expensive.

That's only among the Eee 900s, which is the one that comes with XP.
The reason being that the Linux one has 8GB more SSD.
The other Eee's are cheaper.

joninkrakow
June 2nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
Whats her reason for not allowing you to install Ubuntu? Has she tried and liked your Ubuntu PC?

Very simple, it's _her_ computer! If any changes are to be done, she wants to be the one to do it! I can't even get KDE running! She wants to do that, too! Put simply, her eeePC is a very boring toy for me. ;-)

-Jon

aysiu
June 2nd, 2008, 09:35 PM
Very simple, it's _her_ computer! If any changes are to be done, she wants to be the one to do it! I can't even get KDE running! She wants to do that, too! Put simply, her eeePC is a very boring toy for me. ;-)

-Jon
I wouldn't install Ubuntu on it. I tried, and it mostly works, but there are some things that still can't be fixed, and the boot time will never match the Xandros boot time for speed.

tbroderick
June 2nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Microsoft has seriously limited themselves in the market, and the Eee's with XP are more expensive and probably slower than their Linux counterparts.
It's really just not worth it, see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6oA11PFz2Y 8-[