PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Login loop--multiple login requests

3birds
June 2nd, 2008, 01:29 PM
I've solved the NOAPIC problem, but I'm still getting stuck in a "login loop." I enter userid/pw and the system seems to boot, but then I'm presented with the login screen again.

Ideas appreciated.

diogopedrosa
June 16th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Hi 3birds!

Could you solve your problem? I'm facing the same problem. I have a AMD 64 bits. I've already made a clean instalation using a live CD of 8.04 32 bits version and a live CD of 8.04 64 bits version, each one in a different partition, and the problem happens on both!

Besides, I also notice a display failure on the top part of the screen when shuting down or restarting the computer. Do you also have this problem?

I found a topic about this on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=800091, but the solution proposed by markbuntu there didn't solve my problem.

Regards,
Diogo

3birds
June 16th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Hi 3birds!

Could you solve your problem? I'm facing the same problem. I have a AMD 64 bits. I've already made a clean instalation using a live CD of 8.04 32 bits version and a live CD of 8.04 64 bits version, each one in a different partition, and the problem happens on both!

Besides, I also notice a display failure on the top part of the screen when shuting down or restarting the computer. Do you also have this problem?

I found a topic about this on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=800091, but the solution proposed by markbuntu there didn't solve my problem.

Regards,
Diogo
No, I was not able to solve the problem. In the meantime, I tried "a bunch" of things and caused other problems.

Then, I decided to reformat the partition and start again. Whoops! There went my Windows installation. (If I had known it could be fixed, I'd have done that, but as it was I reinstalled Windows.)

So, I'm back at Square -1 on this one. I have a squeaky-clean Windows XP Home SP3 installation (working great) and a "missing" partition that I used for the Ubuntu installation.

Yes, I did see the funky display band at the top of the screen while rebooting. I have since updated my BIOS and video driver, but I have not had a chance to try again since then.

Good luck finding the solution, and if you do, please repost to this thread!

Thanks!

naturalfreak
August 14th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I tried enabling the ATI driver and that fixed things. In Failsafe mode, System > Administration > Hardware Drivers then select the ATI driver.