PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Setting up email account in Evolution

Terry Owen
June 2nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Just installed Ubuntu - first try with Linux!

All working fine except email!

Have set up the account using the same settings as I've used before on another OS. I can receive email OK but I can't get send to work. Using POP to receive and SMTP to send. Done this many times for different accounts across different machines with no probs.

Anyone experienced similar problems? I'm stumped!

Ubunto version 7.10
Evolution version 2.12.1

lisati
June 2nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
You might want to click on the "check for supported types" when setting up the servers.

Kevbert
June 2nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
What email accounts are you using ? Hotmail, gmail, yahoo ?

wpshooter
June 2nd, 2008, 01:18 PM
Who is your ISP that is servicing your e-mail ?

If it is someone like Verizon DSL or similar perhaps I can help you.

Terry Owen
June 2nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

I'm bases in Norway, using an account from one of the Telephone companies here. Been using it for 5 years or more with no probs.

I've also tried setting up a gmail account but that does the same.

Clicked on the button to check for supported types but got no response.

Have also installed Ubunto on a laptop, tried setting up email on there and have the same result.

Bit of a mystery this one.

wpshooter
June 2nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
Terry:

I assume that you are absolutely confident that you have the correct parameters in the incoming and outgoing fields per your ISP !!!

If you don't have the correct parameters setup in these fields you are probably not going to get any response when you poll for the supported types.

Also, are you certain about the e-mail address and password that you are using for the account !!!

Terry Owen
June 2nd, 2008, 04:18 PM
Jupp!

Checked, double-checked, triple-checked. Tried all combinations of the various options but still nothing. It is all so straightforward I can't fathom where I could go wrong.

The things I'm not sure about is authentication, assuming the following:-

PLAIN - no username or password required
Login - with my account name and pwd
POP before SMTP - is this something to try?

Tried all three but perhaps I need these in conjunction with some other options.

My server requires authentication, tried switching it off on other setup and it failed, enabling it again and it works.

Still stumped.

wpshooter
June 2nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
Unfortunately, I am at work now and don't have my Evolution machine in front of me but to the best of my recall I use the PLAIN for the SMTP (sending) function and I do put in my email address and do check the password box at the bottom of the SMTP page. And I don't think that my Verizon DSL requires authentication, so I leave this unchecked.

Is this some type of high speed ISP or is this a dialup account that you are working with ?

P. S. - When you are putting in the e-mail are your putting in the COMPLETE e-mail address including the ISP name ?

Kevbert
June 2nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
One thing you may want to try is setting the port as some email clients use non standard port numbers (something like smtp.my_email.com:997 where 997 is the port number).
If the supplier is someone like Telia then there should be something on the web or even their website on how to set up a mobile phone to receive email, that may give you a hint.

Dougie187
June 2nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
No offense, but you obviously dont have the right settings if your gmail isnt working. Unless there is some issue with your ISP blocking some ports for some reason (i guess its not that uncommon). Either way, just to check your gmail settings here is their instructions on how to set up evolution for checking gmail.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287&topic=12917

I used this in evolution and it worked fine for me.

yogo
June 2nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Jupp!

Checked, double-checked, triple-checked. Tried all combinations of the various options but still nothing. It is all so straightforward I can't fathom where I could go wrong.

The things I'm not sure about is authentication, assuming the following:-

PLAIN - no username or password required
Login - with my account name and pwd
POP before SMTP - is this something to try?

Tried all three but perhaps I need these in conjunction with some other options.

My server requires authentication, tried switching it off on other setup and it failed, enabling it again and it works.

Still stumped.

Just a guess, but Evolution asks you to use smpt.server.com for outgoing but I use mail.server.com and that works.. Replace server.com with your parameters.

Terry Owen
June 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
I guess it's a high speed ISP, we have a 4Mbit broadband connection.

Still working through the combinations but I think there is something else going on here. Set up a google mail account too, recieved mail but won't send.

yogo
June 2nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Here is how sending is set up on mine, see screenshot.

wpshooter
June 2nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Why don't you call the ISP and ask them what their outgoing mail server name is. For instance for Verizon it is: outgoing.verizon.net

Terry Owen
June 3rd, 2008, 08:00 PM
I've just used the same as I've used before. Still reading mail with outlook, have configured exactly the same but still it won't work.

Out of ideas now. Gmail does the same thing, must be something with the way Ubuntu is handling outgoing email.

Thanks for all the responses.

Terry Owen
June 3rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
One thing you may want to try is setting the port as some email clients use non standard port numbers (something like smtp.my_email.com:997 where 997 is the port number).
If the supplier is someone like Telia then there should be something on the web or even their website on how to set up a mobile phone to receive email, that may give you a hint.

It looks like this is my problem, ISP did change the port number.

Where do I check/change this?

Kevbert
June 4th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Just add the number with a colon onto the end of the server address. Select Edit - Preferences (Select account name) - Edit. Now go to Sending Email tab and under Server Configuration - Server add a colon and the new number.

lisati
June 4th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Some email providers (including Gmail and Yahoo) require you to log into their webmail service and enable POP access.

FashionablyLate
June 16th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I'm struggling to get my hotmail account to work in evolution.
I followed instructions in another thread and set the receives and send servers names to localhost:2000 and 127.0.0.1:2500 respectively. I can receive mail ok (registered here and collected mail without issue) but I can't send mail. I sent a test message and it just sits in the outbox.
I've tried downloading freepops and the updater but didn't actually do anything with them after download as I didn't know what I needed to do!

Any advice on how to get the sending funtion working would be most welcome.

rkosby
June 24th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I've had trouble with Evolution ever since installing Hardy Heron. I've used it for years prior. It can't send email either. I noticed it keeps trying unsuccessfully to use the gnome-keyring. Could you be having the same problem?

Also, now I have to use the evolution --force-shutdown to bring it down.

ibgeorgeb
July 26th, 2008, 07:49 PM
This works Dougie187, neat. I didn't have view pages of pics to get Evolution to sync with my gMail. ibgB-)