PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mobile using computer's internet via Bluetooth

ArtPulse
June 2nd, 2008, 05:01 AM
Woha! I always come up with these wacky ideas. Unfortunately, this time I found nothing on Google about this =( after a few weeks I decided to ask the Ubuntu community if this is by any chance possible, maybe it's not after all!

I have a mobile (Sony Ericsson k750) and a desktop PC with Bluetooth running Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop Edition.
What I want is being able to use my Ubuntu's internet through my mobile. Not like everyone would expect: use my mobile as an internet modem. No. I want the other way! xD I wanna be able to use Opera Mini from my mobile using Ubu's internet connection, through Bluetooth.

Is that by any chance possible? That'd be great, I could check my e-mail without necessarily being in my room, like when having lunch, if I'm waiting for an important e-mail =P, and of course other ideas come up.

Possible? o.O

gradedcheese
June 2nd, 2008, 05:17 AM
Actually that is possible, I've done something similar with the OpenMoko phone (establish a bluetooth link to a laptop and then route traffic, giving the phone Internet access). Their Wiki describes the process (you can ignore the OpenMoko-specific steps) here: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Manually_using_Bluetooth however you'll have far less flexibility on your phone, so I can't promise that you'll have everything you need to make it work.

ArtPulse
June 2nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
uhm, probably =( when I try creating a new Internet Profile, I only get two options: GPRS data or GSM data... that is... no, right? =(

ArtPulse
June 2nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Ok, so I have a new question... how do I push, on the terminal, a file from my computer to my mobile? I'm doing a weird application for Pidgin to let me know when some buddies with Buddy Pounces get online =P...

some seem to use gnome-obex-send, yet I don't have that, nor I use gnome-obex but a different one... obex-data-server

=P what about this? how can I push from terminal? o.O