PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] [SOLVED] Run an app without borders?

x1a4
June 2nd, 2008, 04:04 AM
Hi,

Is is possible to run an applications without borders, which doesn't have a native way of doing so?

Thank you.

mcduck
June 2nd, 2008, 06:58 AM
Yes, at least to some level..

If you use Compiz (the Desktop Effecs-thing) install compizconfig-settings-manager, and it should be possible to use that to disable window borders from your program.

Otherwise, if you wan tthe app to run full-screen without borders you can configure a keyboard shortcut for fullscreen in either Gnme's own keyboard shortcut settings, or in Compiz settings, depending on if you use desktop effects or not. After that pressing the shortcut shoud make (almost) any program to run full screen without any title bar or window borders.

edit: sorry, I didn't notice you are using xfce..

mali2297
June 2nd, 2008, 03:04 PM
I don't know to what extent Xfwm4 (Xfce's window manager) supports this.

If you permanently want to live without borders, you could change to a minimal theme like this one (http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/Minimalistic?content=26432).

However, if you want to be able toggle the borders on/off, then you might have to switch from Xfwm4 to another window manager. For example, I think Openbox has this feature. (You can run Openbox inside Xfce.)

x1a4
June 3rd, 2008, 02:44 AM
Solved it using devilspie.