PDA

View Full Version : Is MSN/Instant Messaging dying?

PrimoTurbo
June 2nd, 2008, 03:44 AM
I used to be on ICQ & MSN all the time back in the day. ICQ died after the AOL takeover and I stopped going on MSN ever since facebook.

I understand that instant messaging will never really die, what I mean is it's actual decline since social networking revolutionized the internet. Facebook allows you to stay in contact with friends in a completely different way then simply chatting.

Has your experience been the same? Or do you disagree.

bufsabre666
June 2nd, 2008, 03:50 AM
i wouldnt give up my instant messenger, but yeah there is a slight decline in use from what i can see, but ill continue to use mine cause im just getting fed up with myspace and facebook, developers and people who are just pawns to these kinds of things, the next person to send me some invite including the words pirate ninja or zombie is getting stabbed in the eye

SunnyRabbiera
June 2nd, 2008, 03:58 AM
well there will always be the possibility of both uahoo and AOL IM going open source, more so then MS messenger (obviously)
AOL might be the first as they are not doing so well right now, the AOL era is all but dead.

uraldinho
June 2nd, 2008, 04:21 AM
MSN forever :guitar:

No seriously, it's a different way of doing things. I never use facebook messaging, I prefer MSN. I don't like the fact that people on facebook can see that I'm online. I'm not talking about the messenger, I'm saying once you log into FB people know you are there. Someone was telling me that there is a way of making sure you never appear as online, I have to check it. Besides, despite all the privacy and protection, facebook profile is a public profile. You give as much information as you want the public to know about you. It's like open to all.....

My MSN contact list on the other hand, is a very controlled close friends and family list only.

I want to have the choice of who sees me online and when. If I don't want to be disturbed, I want to be completely invisible, etc..........

PrimoTurbo
June 2nd, 2008, 04:34 AM
MSN forever :guitar:

No seriously, it's a different way of doing things. I never use facebook messaging, I prefer MSN. I don't like the fact that people on facebook can see that I'm online. I'm not talking about the messenger, I'm saying once you log into FB people know you are there. Someone was telling me that there is a way of making sure you never appear as online, I have to check it. Besides, despite all the privacy and protection, facebook profile is a public profile. You give as much information as you want the public to know about you. It's like open to all.....

My MSN contact list on the other hand, is a very controlled close friends and family list only.

I want to have the choice of who sees me online and when. If I don't want to be disturbed, I want to be completely invisible, etc..........

You can just go offline.

FFighter
June 2nd, 2008, 04:34 AM
No, it is not. I don't use facebook, nor orkut nor any social network crap alike, so I still rely on it.

As a side note, most people don't even know what Facebook is here in Brazil. It is no coincidence why 99% of Orkut users are brazilians :)

uraldinho
June 2nd, 2008, 04:39 AM
You can just go offline.

that's what I do. I never use it :)

Northsider
June 2nd, 2008, 05:17 AM
I hope social networking will die someday. I'm sick of getting "zombie poked", "suped hugged", and invited to totally random groups and events.

FFighter
June 2nd, 2008, 05:28 AM
I hope social networking will die someday. I'm sick of getting "zombie poked", "suped hugged", and invited to totally random groups and events.

lol! Agreed. But why are you still participating then?

I, acknowledge the benefits however, have met many new female contacts while I was on Orkut... but there are too much crap as you said, and I couldn't stand anymore.

uraldinho
June 2nd, 2008, 05:46 AM
lol! Agreed. But why are you still participating then?

I, acknowledge the benefits however, have met many new female contacts while I was on Orkut... but there are too much crap as you said, and I couldn't stand anymore.

So, you are saying that social networks are dating sites in disguise :lolflag:?

methodmarvel
June 2nd, 2008, 05:54 AM
There is no issue with online frequency with network sites. You don't have to be online for someone to contact you (ignoring offline IM because it's generally unused). I see mirrors in chat rooms vs forums and I know which I prefer :)

PrimoTurbo
June 2nd, 2008, 06:07 AM
that's what I do. I never use it :)

I mean you can go offline in the chat so people don't see you are online in facebook chat window...

PrimoTurbo
June 2nd, 2008, 06:17 AM
Perhaps this question is not necessarily fit for this forum, partly because there is a known stereotype among linux users. That stereotype which I am sure is somewhat true is the fact that a large number of us are "geeks" and lack a social life.

I don't say this to insult anyone, but I think it has some truth. The lack of the social life prevents people from using social network sites like facebook. 99% of 300 some odd people I have on facebook are people that I know in real life. 2/3rds of them I never talk to and are simply old acquaintances, classmates or whatever. The rest are people that I see quite often. Facebook allows me to simply keep track (status, pictures, etc) of people I know and to a lesser extent communicate with them.

I went on to my MSN today and noticed that a huge number of people that I see are active on facebook and have not changed their MSN are offline, while they are online on facebook. So that's what based my assumption.

I think the next step or evolution for social networking will be integration of internet usage between friends. It's a little scary but I think eventually we will be able to track to some extend where are friends hang out on the net, which sites they visit, what they buy, which videos they view, which forums they visit, what games they play, etc and we will be able to chat to them or even voice chat as the same time this is occurring.

imronak
June 2nd, 2008, 06:20 AM
No, it is not. I don't use facebook, nor orkut nor any social network crap alike, so I still rely on it.

As a side note, most people don't even know what Facebook is here in Brazil. It is no coincidence why 99% of Orkut users are brazilians :)

Dude, 99% ??
Check this,
http://www.orkut.com/MembersAll.aspx

For non-orkut users, it says,
Brasil -> 53.86% ( a lil' bit exageration, indeed ;) )
India -> 16.97&
US -> 15.11% (Most would be Indians in US ;) )

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

imronak
June 2nd, 2008, 06:22 AM
So, you are saying that social networks are dating sites in disguise :lolflag:?

Surely. Many single users are there for dating. oops, "socializing":lolflag:

SomeGuyDude
June 2nd, 2008, 06:25 AM
Social networking sites are more for artificial validation by people who put far too much stock in number of friends and putting up photographs of themselves at bars and on the beach.

Saying it'll replace instant messaging is like suggesting that it'll replace cell phones.

imronak
June 2nd, 2008, 06:28 AM
Social networking sites are more for artificial validation by people who put far too much stock in number of friends and putting up photographs of themselves at bars and on the beach.

Saying it'll replace instant messaging is like suggesting that it'll replace cell phones.

Well, in a sense, I use Social networking site, so as to keep in touch with people whom i dont want in my IM ( i want to IM with only very imp ppl), others can be fine at these sites. So, surely they will not replace IM.

FFighter
June 2nd, 2008, 06:53 AM

That's what I'm talking about!

teet
June 2nd, 2008, 07:02 AM

Sounds like somebody doesn't have many facebook friends!

:) jk

-teet

imronak
June 2nd, 2008, 07:04 AM
Sounds like somebody doesn't have many facebook friends!

:lolflag::lolflag:

GCoffee
June 2nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
I find IRC is definately dieing, It is a good peice of technology, but then IM seems to be taking over it and then social networking is overtaking IM.

If that makes any sense to anyone, please let me know - I know it doesn't for me.. :lol:

billgoldberg
June 2nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
I used to be on ICQ & MSN all the time back in the day. ICQ died after the AOL takeover and I stopped going on MSN ever since facebook.

I understand that instant messaging will never really die, what I mean is it's actual decline since social networking revolutionized the internet. Facebook allows you to stay in contact with friends in a completely different way then simply chatting.

IM isn't dying, just how older you get the less you use it.

When I was still in school I used to chat with dozens of people.

Now I maybe talk to 2-3 people at most, when I'm on msn.

And I'm rarely on it anymore.

I do use msn, when I call someone or someone calls me, I say "get online" and we'll talk some more, to avoid having high bills :p :p :p

I have a genuine dislike for social networks like facebook, netlog, myspace, ...

PartisanEntity
June 2nd, 2008, 09:59 AM

I hate social networking sites because they are nothing more than data mining scams. The idea itself is interesting, but instant messaging is so easy and convenient that it will never die out.

Plus, social networking sites are way too much if all you want to do is send a friend a message. I find having an application with a simple contact list very convenient, and it is narrowed down to really good friends I would like to stay in touch with regularly.

karellen
June 2nd, 2008, 10:08 AM
not for me. I can't stand facebook, myspace, hi5 and all those crappy sites when people that don't know anything about you send you silly invites, contests and "hugs/vampire kisses" and so
I use im (yahoo mess, google talk) to stay in touch with my friends and talk privately with whoever I want

imronak
June 2nd, 2008, 10:09 AM
I hate social networking sites because they are nothing more than data mining scams. The idea itself is interesting, but instant messaging is so easy and convenient that it will never die out.

Plus, social networking sites are way too much if all you want to do is send a friend a message. I find having an application with a simple contact list very convenient, and it is narrowed down to really good friends I would like to stay in touch with regularly.

your points are true in a case when you want to just communicate with people you know.

but, social networking sites (i've used orkut only) are used for people to get into touch with other people. Get to make new friends, meet people with similar interests. The communities used to be a good place for discussion as in matters of knowledge fun, etc..

I used some of them quite long, because I could get some first hand info. in the case, but did not want to make a IM communication (because it is more private and the discussion was also like which would help others, if they need that information). In a way, OMG Pink Ponies is also like that. We also communicate with people.I bet you might not know many people to whom you respond or talk. Its just social talk. And, you do make friends also in the process. :D

And about data mining, whoever does this, don't they already know all about you? :D
What part of your life remains private now a days ;)

But, its fun to be there and spend some time. Specially, I like to talk with some new people, just for a change feels good. And then, no matter you go on or forget, doesn't matter and that's what you want ;)