PDA

View Full Version : how to print the only print the printable characters in JAVA

fyplinux
June 2nd, 2008, 12:06 AM
Hi, I was trying to read a file and print it out in JAVA, for some characters, it is just wired, like, "ᆳᆳᆳᆳᆳᆳᆳᆳᆳᆳᆳᆳᆳᆳ".

why these chars cannot be displayed properly? How to solve this problem?

If it cannot be solved easily, How can I just print the printable chars?

Many thanks.

mike_g
June 2nd, 2008, 01:22 AM
I don't know, maybe you could load it as a string an use a regex to replace all non-alphanumeric, non-punctuation characters? I guess there must be an easier way tho.

NormR2
June 2nd, 2008, 01:56 AM
Could you give a little more info on your problem?
What was in the file? Was it a text file with ASCII characters? Cnn you read and display it in a text editor?
What java class did you use to read the file?
What statement/method did you use to print out what your read?

fyplinux
June 3rd, 2008, 03:22 AM
Could you give a little more info on your problem?
What was in the file? Was it a text file with ASCII characters? Cnn you read and display it in a text editor?
What java class did you use to read the file?
What statement/method did you use to print out what your read?

It is the index.dat file, which is the browser history of IE in Windows. I heard that it could be read, so I tried to read out it by the classes of File, FileReader of Java.

A typical string read by emacs of the file:
"^@^@\357\276\255\336:200805272008052"

the readable information is currently printed by such a statement:

if (Character.isLetterOrDigit(ch) || (ch >= 32 && ch <= 126)) {
//do the print work
}

NormR2
June 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Why would you expect to be able to read the contents of a program's data file and understand it (ie have it appear as ASCII text)?
Most likely a lot of it is binary(raw bytes).

The doc for FileReader says:

FileReader is meant for reading streams of characters. For reading streams of raw bytes, consider using a FileInputStream.