PDA

View Full Version : best mutlimedia linux

bannik
June 1st, 2008, 11:25 PM
hey guys its a quick question, whats the best linux distro for multimedia, of course i want to use Ubuntu variant but i need to know if others are better for it.

ps I dont mean multimedia editing but multimedia abuse, i.e watching movies, downloading, internet, music playing, file transfers.

i cant edit nor do i want too but i would like to be entertained

jrharvey
June 1st, 2008, 11:27 PM
I would go linux mint ALL the way. I use ubuntu mostly because im use to it but linux mint is nice.

bannik
June 1st, 2008, 11:34 PM
keep the list coming guys, also i would wanta distro that has a lot of users,

if you can maybe you can suggest a ubuntu build that i can download and install that will do most of my multimedia stuff....

i like ubuntu because there are a lot of users to help me

bufsabre666
June 2nd, 2008, 12:31 AM
well if you want rpm based pclinuxos comes with alot of codecs pre installed

bannik
June 2nd, 2008, 12:34 AM
well if you want rpm based pclinuxos comes with alot of codecs pre installed
ok i'll check it out

samjh
June 2nd, 2008, 12:39 AM
Mint and Ubuntu Studio come immediately to mind.

Mint is very easy to use and the majority of common proprietary codecs are installed by default, so it's doubly easy to use. :)

Ubuntu Studio is more for multimedia producers, but that also means it has a lot of useful multimedia software.

zachtib
June 2nd, 2008, 12:49 AM
well, first off, what exactly do you need it to do?

secondly, I've never found a multimedia issue that Ubuntu can't handle, I use Ubuntu as a media server / mythtv backend and later this summer I'll be building a mythtv frontend that'll run ubuntu. (Currently, I've been using a PS3 as a myth frontend)

bannik
June 2nd, 2008, 12:49 AM
Mint and Ubuntu Studio come immediately to mind.

Mint is very easy to use and the majority of common proprietary codecs are installed by default, so it's doubly easy to use. :)

Ubuntu Studio is more for multimedia producers, but that also means it has a lot of useful multimedia software.

is does ubutu studio and mint have the same amount of support as regular ubuntu

SunnyRabbiera
June 2nd, 2008, 01:14 AM
is does ubutu studio and mint have the same amount of support as regular ubuntu

basically, they are all based around the same system

DigitalDuality
June 2nd, 2008, 02:50 AM
d

Kinst
June 2nd, 2008, 04:25 AM
Mint.

barbedsaber
June 2nd, 2008, 04:36 AM
I have never used it, but try linpus media center (http://www.linpus.com/xampp/webmaster/Products/MediaCenter2.0.htm)