PDA

View Full Version : $$ Canonical Funding

KLRWLF
June 1st, 2008, 11:02 PM
The quarter (grad school) is almost over which means this very long IS Plan is nearing an end. However, I still have some info that I need that maybe someone knows where I can find it. I know this is the financial side of this paper and I may not get this data, but hey, I am gonna throw this out there just in case.

I am wondering what the breakdown of funding is for Canonical. I understand the Mark Shuttleworth takes the brunt of the funding force through his personal fortune at (correct me if I am wrong) $8-10 Million per year to keep the company alive. Who funds the other amount if there are other large public donors? Is there graphical chart that breaks down on where the funding comes from? What about a profit/loss analysis? Cost-Benefit analysis? Any info would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

-KLRWLF

FFighter
June 1st, 2008, 11:21 PM
Interesting question, always wanted to know the commercial aspects of Canonical, how does it survive? For how long will Mark be injecting money into it?

samjh
June 2nd, 2008, 12:25 AM
This article may make interesting reading: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/may/22/internet.software

Take note of this part:

TG: What's the business model for Canonical?

MS Our business model is entirely based on services around our software. Because Canonical plays such a key role in Ubuntu, even though it doesn't monopolise access to it, we're a preferred partner for Ubuntu. Whether it's technical support, which we think people are more likely to buy from us than from anybody else, or whether it's engineering, customisation, or the enablement of the platform on particular hardware, Canonical has a privileged position.

TG: How close are you to breaking even?

MS Not close. It will require time and ongoing investment. We've positioned ourselves for what we see as the future of software - unlicensed software, people having access to the software that they want at the time that they want it. The service ecosystem around that software will fund it. And if we are the company that has best anticipated that future, then we will be best positioned to benefit from it.

KLRWLF
June 2nd, 2008, 04:59 AM
Thanks but I was trying to find soem hard numbers. It is difficult because Canonical is not a public company that puts its quarterly financials out there. I may have to do some creative thinking for this part. lol Anyone know base salaries for employees at Canonical?

cubeist
June 2nd, 2008, 05:14 AM
Thanks but I was trying to find soem hard numbers. It is difficult because Canonical is not a public company that puts its quarterly financials out there. I may have to do some creative thinking for this part. lol Anyone know base salaries for employees at Canonical?

I have been in similar situations for essays.. For private companies the only thing you can really do is source a comparative analysis... So for employee salary, for example, compare salaries from published figures for other companies that offer similar products and estimate where you think canonical would fit in... make sure you explain why you think they fit in where they do.

The key is to make an effort to produce a well-sourced paper using information from public companies to do estimated references for the private company you are writing about...

goodluck

Javierhermosa
May 28th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I wish canonical would be the first company to show a new economic model more based on cooperation rather than competition or benefit making. A balanced company with a balanced behaviour to show the world that another economic system is possible. But these are just my wishes...

billgoldberg
May 28th, 2009, 01:06 PM
For private companies the only thing you can really do is source a comparative analysis...

You could always ask them.

I did that for my essay and the company just gave me a copy of their books.